Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 10 OS Device Software

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Upgrading BB10 OS Using Sachesi for an OTA-like Update

[ Edited ]

This is a "how to" for upgrading your OS using Sachesi tool.  If you are wanting to update your device OS but your carrier hasn't yet released the update for your device there are a couple of options.  You can use an autoloader that wipes all data and reloads the OS to your device fresh.  With this method you need to restore your backup or start over fresh.  The easier method is to manually install the update files.  This method can be used if the OS has been released by another carrier.  Since the OS's are not written for specific carriers, an OS from any carrier for a given model can be used.  Here's how to do it.  Don't worry, it looks harder than it really is. 

This method installs all of the the updated OS files over the top of the old OS, leaving all your data and settings in tact.  There is no need to restore a backup file when it's done. 

Caution:  Before starting, I recommend making a backup of the device just in case anything goes wrong.  Follow the instructions in KB33526 to make a backup of your device.  You won't need it but better safe than sorry should anything go wrong.

1.  Download Sachesi.  This is the small PC app that you will use to download the update files and then install to the device.  Save it to a folder somewhere you can easily find (desktop usually works good.)  Your browser may automatically put it wherever your default download location is.  It will go where any other download goes. 

If the current version of Sachesi (v1.2.3) gives problems or errors in Windows you can download an earlier version (v1.2.1) here.

2.  If you don't already know it, determine your BB device model by going to Settings >About >General.  Scroll down to Model number.  Make a note of the model number.  (i.e. STL100-3, STA100-4, etc.)

3.  Connect your device and double-click on Sachesi.exe.  It will open to the "Search" tab. In the search tab you will need to enter the country, carrier, device, and variant codes to get the proper download.  If your device is connected you should also see your device model show as connected.  Enter the following based on your device model:

The list below is currently for OS 10.2.1.3247 (10.2.1.2977.)  I will attempt to keep the thread up to date with new country and carrier codes for future OS versions. 

If your device is a Z10 STL100-1 use:

• Carrier: 03
  • Device: Z10
  • Variant: STL100-1

If your device is a Z10 STL100-2, -3, or -4 use:

• Device: Z10
  • Variant: STL100-2

If your device is a Z30 (All variants) use:

• Carrier: 02
  • Device: Z30
  • Variant: STA100-2

If your device is a Q5/Q10 (All variants) use:

• Device: Q10
  • Variant: SQN100-3

If your device is a Z3 (All models) use:

• Carrier: 01
  • Device: Z3
  • Variant: STJ100-1

4.  Once you enter the data for your device model you will see a box open up that says "Update 10.2.1.3247 available!"  Click the "Download All" button.  Sachesi will download all the bar files for the update and place them in a folder named "10.2.1.3247."   (Remember: the model and/or variant you enter to get the update may not match your device exactly but if you follow the list above you'll get the right OS for your model as certain OS's are interchangeable between devices)

5.  When it's done downloading all 154 files make sure your device is plugged in with the USB cable.  On the "Search" tab screen you should see your device connected. 

6.  Once connected click the "Install" tab. (if your device requires a password enter it here.)

7.  Drag the entire OS folder labeled 10.2.1.3247 and drop it into the box.  The update will start immediately when you drop it so be ready. 

That's it!  The update will take anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours depending on how many files are updated in the new OS.  The process can sometimes appear to stall but just let it go and don't interrupt it.  You should see a progress bar on the screen of the device, and Sachesi will show you it's progress, as well.

When it's done it will reboot.  It will take longer than normal to reboot so keep the device plugged in or you can disconnect from the computer and plug into a regular charger.  Once booted up, the device will be a bit laggy for an hour or so as everything syncs.  You may want to keep it plugged into the charger while this goes on as the syncing is battery intensive. 

JC Tip:  If you don't have it already be sure to load the app called Snap for installing Android applications directly to your device.  One of the new features of OS 10.2.1 is the ability to directly install Android apps. You simply download the Snap bar file and drag and drop it into the Sachesi Install box as you did above to install it to the device.  Detailed instructions for installing Snap can be found here.

Credits:

Sachesi:  http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-leaked-beta-os-f395/sachesi-firmware-extractor-searcher-installer-...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
ihiker
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: VZW

Re: Upgrading BB10 OS Using Sachesi for an OTA-like Update

Thanks John. This is an incredibly useful tool, providing a non-invasive OS update. My recent update using Sachesi took about 1.5 hours from the time I started downloading the OS onto my computer until my device rebooted. Then, all I had to do was wait for Contacts, Calendar, etc. to sync...maybe 15 minutes.

VZW Z10 on OS 10.2.1.2234
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Hairbear1954
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

Thanks this is both helpful and easy instructions to follow!

This is finally what I needed!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
gibsoje74
My Device: Q10 SQN100-1

Thanks Guy... I was looking for a more reliable way to update. Because waiting on my carrier just wasn't cutting it.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
jhanks64
My Device: Using VZW Q10, new Z30, Two Z10's, Playbook, came from 9930 before
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless, AT&T

Thanks John, excellent tutorial.

John Hanks
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
scruffy1993
My Device: Blackberry Z30
My Carrier: Verizon

With the Z30 options, it shows that there are no updates on STA 100-1, only on STA 100-2.   Any other suggestions or would STA 100-2 be safe to use?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
gibsoje74

Yeah, I went ahead and reloaded my carriers OS back on my phone. The Q10 update was more worse than the leak to me. Menus would freeze up and not respond to my tft, my contacts were all screwed up, I missed calls and weren't notified til after the call was made and voicemail had appeared. Just nothing worked. At least with the 1055 leak, only prob I had was after a while my phone would not play any form of sound unless restarted. I done waited this long. I think I can keep waiting. I hope when my carrier release their OTA that it works better than my experience with these leaks/updates.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

scruffy1993 wrote:

With the Z30 options, it shows that there are no updates on STA 100-1, only on STA 100-2.   Any other suggestions or would STA 100-2 be safe to use?

Any variant of the Z30 can be used on any Z30.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

gibsoje74 wrote:
Yeah, I went ahead and reloaded my carriers OS back on my phone. The Q10 update was more worse than the leak to me. Menus would freeze up and not respond to my tft, my contacts were all screwed up, I missed calls and weren't notified til after the call was made and voicemail had appeared. Just nothing worked. At least with the 1055 leak, only prob I had was after a while my phone would not play any form of sound unless restarted. I done waited this long. I think I can keep waiting. I hope when my carrier release their OTA that it works better than my experience with these leaks/updates.

I have this same OS on my Q10 and haven't experienced any issues.   It is the best OS released to date. Waiting for your carrier isn't going to change anything. Something f else must have been going on.  

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
gibsoje74

I don't know. I'll try it again later I guess... I tried restarting my phone a couple of times. But everytime a screen would stop responding. Like I could touch a file in my explorer it will look like I tapped it but the screen would never respond/change. Then if I swipe up and exit out. When I go back to where ever I was @. The screen would be in the same spot wen I exited, and It still would not respond... So I just hooked it up to my link and reloaded the carrier os.
Please use plain text.