Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 10 OS Device Software

Developer
Concession
My Device: Not Specified

VPNs

BlackBerry, please support consumer grade VPNs. Right now the playbook and BB10 only support VPN protocalls found in enterprise services. Your customers would like privacy and data security too. You create the most secure smartphones but you impose massive barriers to entry for your customers to secure their out/inboud traffic which makes our webtraffic available to anyone who wants access to it. This defeats the purpose of a secure device.

Popular paid vpn sites like strongvpn.com, privateinternetaccess.com, and ipvanish.com (to name very few) support all desktop and mobile operating systems, except Blackberry, by offering services via standard VPN protocalls.

Please, company formally known as RIM, add more VPN protocalls.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
papersushi
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: China Mobile

Re: VPNs

The way BlackBerry handles VPN especially for consumers are stuck in the last century. Wether the corporation needs BES added into their IT system is their call. But tons of corporation relies on IPSec L2TP or PPTP VPN for their employees to access internal network or emails. These protocols are industry standards for ages. Simply by only offering options for BES is a closed loop. Not to mention when you travel internationally to countries censors websites like Twitter, FaceBook, YouTube.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
eric-stewart
My Device: BlackBerry Q10, Z10 and 64GB PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

This is both a crosspost from the Z10 forum and a unfactual rant. IPsec VPN access *is* available on the OS when using WiFi. No one's locking you into using BES for security.
Please use plain text.
Developer
Concession
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

Really? How do you set up commercial PPTP or L2TP IPSec services then? You realize BB10 devices have the same VPN options as the Playbook right? Why is it strongvpn, a provider that supports L2TP IPSec, lists the blackberry Playbook explicitly as "unsupported" if, according to you, the playbook supports the standard?

From here, it's looking like you are the one with the "unfactual rant".

PS: The post that is up first isn't the crosspost.

EDIT: So, there was another post made after mine in the other forum on the same topic. Might as well link to that thread so discussion can happen there: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Z10/Lack-of-standard-VPN-support-on-BlackBerry/m-p...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
eric-stewart
My Device: BlackBerry Q10, Z10 and 64GB PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Sigh. I commented the wrong contributor's post. Sorry about that.

Have you tried connecting regardless of whether the site says it explicitly supports the PB?
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
WiTopia
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: AT&T

Don't wish to be perceived as a spammer but to answer your question, and in Blackberry's defense (as we are excited Blackberry is opening things up so we can deliver VPN service for Blackberry users) we, WiTopia https://www.witopia.net, fully support BB10 and Playbook globally on hundreds of servers in 65 cities/41 countries using "Cisco" IPsec.

IPsec is a wonderful protocol and the optimal one to lead with until Blackberry opens up the others. IPsec is speedy, much more secure (AES 256-bit encryption), and stable...but hard to deploy correctly.

Most VPN providers don't offer it because it is such a complex protocol and you can't use off-the-shelf Windows servers but need seriosu geek-cred to deploy correctly and scale. We predate all the others in consumer VPN category (we launched personalVPN™ in March 2005 and have deployed VPNs since mid-90's at UUNET) so we're OG's in the space.

Here are our instructions if you want to peruse: https://www.witopia.net/support/setting-up-and-using-your-vpn/

Bill

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
papersushi
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: China Mobile

Thanks Witopia. Thats useful info. Do you know does it support VPN over mobile network or it has to be on a Wifi connection?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
WiTopia
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: AT&T

Works over any Internet connection unless it is deliberately blocked or bandwidth is insufficient.
Please use plain text.
lucasplough
My Device: BB9700
My Carrier: rogers

I use Streaming VPN ... http://www.streamingvpn.com

I find it cheaper and more customer friendly.

Just my 2 cents.

Please use plain text.