Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 10 OS Device Software

New Contributor
My Device: Z10

Wifi profile being disabled

Hardware: Z10 STL100-3

OS 10.0.10.85

Have noticed that when my Z10 is unable to connect to Wifi the profile is automatically disabled, and I have to manually re-enable it. This happens both at work and at home where the failure to connect is temporary (if I manually re-enable the profile and hit "Connect" it connects).

Is thre any way to prevent the OS from automatically disabling the Wifi profile, or at least let me chose whether to or not? My guess is "No" or "not yet" since there's a long-running forum thread on this exact same issue over on CrackBerry and no solution has been posted yet. :smileysad: Just thought I'd try over here just in case...

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Wifi profile being disabled

Hi colinwu and welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums!

Does the Wi-Fi network appear as one of your saved networks? Does this happen with all of Wi-Fi networks?

Thanks.

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

Hi Cap'n,

Yes they are saved profiles, and it happens with any profile that the Z10 has trouble establishing a connection with either at the authentication stage or, most often, at the dhcp stage. It I cancel the connection attempt before the 3rd try times out it doesn't get disabled. Of course, the problem is when I don't notice that, for example, my home profile has been disabled and end up using the wireless network.

From the sounds of it a lot of folks would be very, very happy if this can be resolved either by not automatically disabling the profile or prompting the user whether it should be disabled or not. 

Thank you.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Have you tried deleting the saved Wi-Fi network then re-add it? What security protocol do you have configured on your Wi-Fi network?

Thanks.

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

Two of the profiles I've exerienced this with are WEP while the 3rd is WPA/WPA2 Enterprise. I have not tried deleting and re-adding but will the next time this happens; but not being able to connect is not the issue. I recognize that sometimes connection just is not possible due to poor signal strength, over-subscription, problem with the AP, etc. The real issue is that the profile is being automatically disabled without notification.  The user should be given a choice whether to disable the profile or not. Sometimes the failure is only temporary and may connect at a later time.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z-10

[ Edited ]

It kills it after three attempts but if you manually select and connect it will re-enable it.

Note that the problem with it not connecting may be related to the crash/reboot issue although it doesn't appear to be at first blush.  I have traced the failure to connect to a network stack blocking problem on the phone; I have an AP here that I can "see" into the negotiation with the other end while it's happening and the AP thinks the node associated but the phone doesn't see it.

See if going into airplane mode and back out causes the phone to reconnect -- you should not have to delete and re-add the profile.  I have never had to do that to resolve this.  If going into and out of Airplane mode restores the link then you're seeing a manifestation of the network blocking problem which I believe is related to people experiencing crashes.

Market Information? Come read The Market Ticker!
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks, tickerguy. I'll try that next time, though I have to (again) stress that I may not know when it fails the next time because the OS doesn't tell me when it fails and silently disables the profile. I don't mind that the profile occasionally fails. I just think it should not be disabled without notification. Of course, if you can guarantee that connection attempts will never fail then silently disabling would not be so much of an issue.

(BTW, I said I would try deleting the profile only because Capt Sweatpants suggested.)

Yes, I can manually get it to retry but, let's see how many steps that takes:

1. Swipe down to show options (assuming I'm on the home screen)
  2. touch "WiFi" to bring up list of available networks
  3. touch "Saved" (because I can not edit or re-enable any of the networks from here and touching the disabled network does nothing because it's been disabled so why would you want to connect to it)
  4. touch the appropriate network
  5. swipe down to show the "On/Off" switch (because the cursor is automatically placed in the password entry field, thus putting the switch out of view)
  6. touch the "On/Off" switch to re-enable the profile
  7. touch the "Connect" button

If it were a simple one or two step process to re-enable and retry I wouldn't mind so much.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z-10

[ Edited ]

All that should not be necessary.

Turn WiFi off and back on.   If that does not fix it then turn Airplane Mode on and then back off.

If either of those reconnects then the odds are extremely high that you're seeing a manifestation of what I believe is going on with the deadlock condition and it is not your WiFi network that is failing to associate.  Indeed, if you could see "inside" your WiFi Access Point at the software level (where you can actually see what state the unit is in with regard to your device) you would likely find that it thinks the phone IS associated with it.

Market Information? Come read The Market Ticker!
New Contributor

OK. I will do that next time it fails and let you know. Stand by ...