Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 10 OS Device Software

New Contributor
Mattone_z10
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: H3G Italia

Re: blackberry z10 rebooting itself

with the 10.1 update on my z10 have solved the problem. before updating I did an hard reset and removed all apps. I doubted ebay
Please use plain text.
disastermaster
My Carrier: Telekom

Sorry I cannot agree to that. My Z10 uses 10.1 and still do unexpected reboots. Many of my colleagues have the same issue. It doesn't matter if it is 10.1 or 10.0 firmware.

What I miss here is an official statement from RIM. Could a RIM technical guy give a statement to that error?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
tickerguy
My Device: Z-10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

BlackBerry is aware of this; there's a formal ticket on it in their system. 10.1.0.273 (the common release floating around for EU and Canadian carriers) does not fully address the problem, but does materially reduce it in my experience.

I've done a lot of investigation on this issue and have a decent operating theory on what's going on.  My best guess is that it will be gone with the next formal release and likely will be available in a "leak" form before it formally hits the carriers.

Market Information? Come read The Market Ticker!
Please use plain text.
disastermaster
My Carrier: Telekom

Ok thanks for information.

Could you give us more details about your investigation results? Do you know what causes the reboot?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
tickerguy
My Device: Z-10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I cannot speak to it with certainty but I can speak to what's very likely going on (being both a kernel programmer on Unix-style systems going back to the 1980s and having run a lot of tests on this problem myself -- while I can't quite get to "reproduce on demand" I'm pretty close to it.)

Here's my take on it.....

The problem is related to a deadlock and the reboot itself is almost-certainly coming from the watchdog timer, which is there for the explicit purpose of prohibiting a deadlock from freezing the device (which would require a battery pull.)

I suspected originally the radio code was likely implicated due to the wide variation of incidence, from many people having NO problems to others having fairly-easily-reproduced ones. Then we got the ability to swap radio versions (along with firmware) non-destructively and now I'm essentially convinced this is the case.

In addition there is symptomology that is broadly congruent with this operating theory related to the VPN and WiFi functionality not always coming back up. You will probably never see this happen to you unless you nail the VPN connection with autoconnect on both WiFi and Cell services, especially on leaked firmware. 

It's a problem but it's a software one, is tickled by specific sets of events, and if I'm correct in what's going on it's going to be loads of fun to eliminate it simply because getting the exact state of the system when the deadlock occurs is critical to understanding exactly what sequence causes it.

Deadlocks happen when you have two exclusive-access operations that "cross" each other. The first takes a lock on a resource and starts working, then gets preempted for some reason. A second operation in a different thread takes a lock on a second resource and then attempts to obtain one on the first and blocks doing so as the first thread or process has locked that resource already. If the first process or thread is then scheduled for execution and tries to lock what the second process has acquired you're screwed as it will block as well. Now you have to processes or threads blocked and neither can proceed. 

This is consistent with what I can reproduce with the VPN stack; it will refuse to come up under certain reselect conditions but the other end has authenticated and inserted the SPI and routing entries -- that is, the server says the link is up and good. Once it happens you have to tear down the underlying resource (in this case, by putting the unit in airplane mode) to clear it, after which the VPN will restart, because the first process that caused the deadlock releases it locks and by doing so the condition clears.

IF the process that takes the deadlock originally is running with elevated priority such that it always gets reselected next to run then the deadlock never clears. In this case the process that resets the watchdog timer never executes and when the timer expires the phone is reset.

I'll lay odds this is a purely software issue and it is centered in the radio code. I also have reason to believe BlackBerry knows where it is in general terms, because the behavior has changed materially in the various leaks, especially when the autoconnect VPN option is turned on.

Market Information? Come read The Market Ticker!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
GettingOldandTired
My Device: BB Z10 STL100-3
My Carrier: Rogers

Thanks tickerguy, sincerely. I am feeling better already.
And So It Goes
Please use plain text.
Contributor
an_nistelrooy
My Device: z10
My Carrier: telkomsel

That's a great experiment tickerguy, for your reference I never use or activate both wifi and VPN on my z10, but it seems getting worse on my z10, it's not reboot but shut off and I can't turn it on even I pull out the battery many times and I press the power button for a minute, my z10 still don't wanna start. Then it's started by itself, I don't know why it can be happen. And for notice, before my z10 goes off, the screen is freezed and the slowly goes off. And it happen more than 3 times a day... but about three days ago, my z10 just working as a normal phone, no reboot like days before, or today... I can't get the pattern what is it caused.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
goster48
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

The same thing has happened to me--total device freeze that can only be remedied with a battery pull. Most of the time, however, it's just random reboots. The folks at RIM should hang their heads in shame for not getting on top of the problem, from both a technical standpoint as well as in terms of communications to their loyal users.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
slythfmst
My Device: Z10 STL100-3
My Carrier: Rogers

Mine does it as well....

Z10 STL100-3 with the updated Os of 10.1.0.273 on the Rogers network Canada,

Scenario's are: In bedtime mode with charger plugged in got woken up

at 5.30 am when gmail sent notification to my phone.... Phone rebooted

and bedtime was turned off...

Mornings when I disconnect the charger phone reboots itself...

Phone just sitting on desk doing nothing and it reboots itself...

Happens daily, getting quite frustrated. BLACBERRY GET THIS FIXED ASAP!

Crackberry has a pole that the STL100-3 model appears to be getting

the worst of the reboot issues... If its a battery issue recall them and get the phones

fixed before it burn a home down.... 

Please use plain text.
feiglma
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Hey there, 

has anyone got feedback from Blackberry right now? I have the same issue and it's getting pretty worse. 

Using 100-3 Z10, O2 Germany Carrier and Version 10.1.0.273

Started with reboots in bedmode and right now I have at least 2 reboots a day. 

Blackberry please help with this Issue. 

The phone is really good, but you won't get your feet on the ground again, if this problem won't be solved in time. 

Thanks alot

Please use plain text.