Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
jmen
My Carrier: Telus

BB10 / Z10 Swiping back from System Settings, Menu / App sort order, BB10 UI recognizing email / phoneno / addresses

There some inconsistencies within the BB10 UI which I finally figured is derived by the ability to swipe back from the stock UI except from within the system settings where we have to use the back button to go back between screens. 

Can we have option to sort System Menus or Application Drawer and the ability to hide applications like previous BBOS?

BB10 UI is not intuitive in regards to recognizing email / phone nos / addresses compared to prior BBOS. A lot of trial and error copy and pasting to do what you want to do with said contact info until figuring out what works.  Unfortunately besides not being able to call a phoneno directly from anywhere, a user does not have the ability to copy and paste number on a dialer or search item to call like previous BBOS. User will have to either try to go back and for the between screens to dial and call the number or use the trust pen and paper method.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jmen

Re: BB10 / Z10 Swiping back from System Settings, Menu / App sort order, BB10 UI recognizing email / phoneno / addresses

Since I'm out here, a few more things.  With regards to the consistency, can we have the option to have the search bar at the bottom of the screen like the browser? Also, include more customization features like notification profile management as found on previous BBOS?  

With the ability to bring up the keyboard anywhere swiping up with two thumbs, can we have the keyboard shortcuts like we did previously on BBOS? For a BBOS power user, I think it would be great. Hold Q to quite phone, Press N for next or P previous to navigate in between the hub to scroll by date or to go between messages. 

With the browser, can you make it easier to toggle between regular and desktop mode instead of where currently I fail to find the reasoning why it's in the developer options.  Btw, viewing this page in desktop mode and going between text boxes as I type this seems to buggy as screen gets confused to where to put the text icon.

All in all I love the typing experience on the z10. Hopefully I can help in any way to improve the experience for old and new BlackBerry users.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jmen

Re: BB10 / Z10 Swiping back from System Settings, Menu / App sort order, BB10 UI recognizing email / phoneno / addresses

Okay, I know others have mentioned this but I would like to highlight it some more. Please improve the accessibility of the UI. For starters, obtain to change default screen font size anywhere. Words can become very tiny looking as one keeps using the phone for extended period of time.  Have battery percentage and date shown as default from the top status bar, even make status icons more useful by having them quick launch like in the playbook where time date opens calendar, 

I known it may bring the app count considerably but would it be possible to just put a built in flashlight or battery management features for BB1010? While you're at it, might as well put a stock solitaire app ;P

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jmen

Unfortunately my Z10 just crashed. Not sure why. Had accuweather, system settings, BX Battery Info, in active frames while I was in the browser. I received a BBM notification of a friend request and swiped to the hub to accept it then moments later screen froze and rebooted the phone. Currently I cannot reproduce the issue so hopefully it's one off as I believe in QNX.

Anyways, I would like to ask that showcase mode and app switching ala PlayBook is brought to the BB10. To me this would exponentially increase the multitasking / productivity of BB10 and conform with the Flow philosophy in regards to the current in / out paradigm.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jmen

Okay, yes, I'm suffering from new phone syndrome but ill ask these final things for today. Home / Lock screen customization would be nice. Between the phone / search / camera icons on the bottom bar theres empty space which can fit two other icons like maybe one for brower and text. May we get the option to change these shortcuts? I for one do not use the camera often so it's useless to me on the Home / Lock screens. May we also get an option to pin active frames so we do not have to keep opening the same ones, in my case battery and weather apps. I know it would drain the battery faster but hey its my choice and that's why I'm getting the BlackBerry battery bundle for ADD people like myself.

Finally, may we get more password options like swipe pattern found on Android phones to unlock the phone. During my cup of tea with the enemy, that was one of my favorite features as it was a lot faster to do one handed than text based passwords. Again, the camera is useless to me so having other than that on the lock screen would be great. Please let me have the choice to see a brief description of my notifications on the lockscreen like the descriptions found on the drop down drawer from previous BBOS. It has notification counters and agenda info but I want more like the ability for these icons to quick launch to their respective apps like email to email or text to text app. Even power button screen can have more quick toggle options like quickly going to vibrate or airplane mode.

If all these things are not something BlackBerry wants to do themselves, especially since most are old BlackBerry features, please bring back BlackBerry Themes. There are many talented BBOS UI designers who are being left behind in the old world who could greatly help fine tune the UI to specific needs and interests. I believe these themes would definitely be a hit in BlackBerry world and I would purchase them if I found one that suits how I want to use the phone quickly and efficiently.

All in all it is great phone which unfortunately a BlackBerry power users have to dumb down for any expected BlackBerry features that are not there yet or may never be possible for a full touch phone. Due to my line of work, the quest to owning just one phone will continue to elude me because I need / require the ability to filter and set level one notifications. Current enterprise users know what I'm talking about. Hopefully they will come.
Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Carrier: Vodafone

jmen wrote:

a user does not have the ability to copy and paste number on a dialer or search item to call like previous BBOS. User will have to either try to go back and for the between screens to dial and call the number or use the trust pen and paper method.

I wrote a little app to do it: Clipboard Dialer. It scans your clipboard for phone numbers and allows you to call or text them, add to contacts etc. Also works by selecting a paragraph or two in your browser or e-mail, tapping the text and sharing it with Clipboard Dialer.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.