Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
mackbig
My Device: Playbook, z10, 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

BBM - Temporary Server Error ???

After messing around with missing contacts/calendar for several hours. Decided to wipe device.

The one thing that did work the first go around was bbm contacts retrieval.

Since the wipe, contacts and calendar still not imported, but now when I got to retrieve BBM contacts, on screen gives two options restore using "device switch"  or by "email" ever since wipe, I get the server error message.  Email says no email for bbm, even thought its the same as my blackbberry id.  Tried for several hours now. Either the server error is more than temporary, or my device is really messed up now.   Maybe its because I already switched once.  I know if you hit continue without one of those "restore" options, it says you wont be able to retrieve in the future.

This is my wife's device, both have had 10 bb's.  Not a good first impression of this device.  Looks pretty, feels good, but device switch wizard doesnt actually do anyting, and very flaky.

Not sure I will get q10 now when it arrives.

Thoughts anyone?

Andrew,

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
apbak11
My Device: z10
My Carrier: etisalat

Re: BBM - Temporary Server Error ???

same problem here :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Hey mackbig,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question.

We are currently investigating this issue: www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB33652

We need to gather some logs and information to further investigate.  Please contact your network service provider and ask to be escalated to BlackBerry so we can gather the information.

Thank you.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
scopewizard
My Device: Blackberry Z10

This is I did to clear the error. It may wotk for you.

Make sure BlackberryID is in your Z10.

if not you have to add it with password, it should be the same as your old BB phone.

Try BBM to see if problem is solved.

If not, close the BBM,

Press the lock button on top of your phone for about 3 seconds,

a black screen will appears with a restart on the bottom right,

press on restart and wait for phone to fully reboot.

Try BBM to see if it cleared the error.

It cleared on mine and has worked fine ever since.

BTW, switch device  - means take BBM from old phone and transfer to Z10.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
apbak11

nothing worked on my end until i just started bbm as a new user (which worked fine) and manually re-invited previous contacts. with the flow of people to iphone and android i wasn't left with that many on bbm anyway... 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mackbig

Thanks for responses,

Well, we gave up.   Actually took the first z10 back.  Tbooth gave us another one.  I had tried several different ways includeing 3 wipes to get it to work.  At one time I thought I had tricked it.  After a wipe, went back to my first backup I made, it was a point when bbm was working, and we were still trying to figure out the contacts/calendar issue (another thread).  BBM was back, we were happy, I had half my contacts back too (all excluding their phone numbers),  My wife was out and rec'd a bbm from me and blammo.  The server error magically reappeared, even though the phone was setup hours ago. 

Rogers support is useless.  First person said they had not been trained on z10, so they gave up BB support line at RIM (err, Blackberry).  They answered right away, and said they couldnt deal with us, unless we were referred by our Provider with a ticket number.  We called Rogers back, and the next analyst said they were not allowed to transfer people to RIM.   He emailed us some forum postings we had already seen.  This was mostly about the ability or lack thereof to import our old Curve contacts/calendar.

Nice toy, but unfortunately we are telling all out BB friends when they ask what the phone is like.  Pretty, cool features, but absolutely sucks as far as transferring your stuff.  Great for new users with  no bb experience, but alienating the core users.

She is now manually and painfully adding her bbm contacts back to a "fresh" install, and each one asks "what happened".  "And oh can you send me your phone numbers too?"

Andrew

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
apbak11

sounds horribly familiar... 

fact of the matter is if i didn't travel so much i would switch to the iphone in a hearbeat. the data plan on the BB is what keeps me there because the device, unfortunately, is just not up to par. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mackbig

BBM was the only thing keeping her with BB. If her friends jump (the rest of them) she might as well have an iphone.  For me its work, but when the tech folks find out PIN messages are gone.  BB might be gone as well.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
scopewizard
My Device: Blackberry Z10

Is there other phones with PIN available?

Just curious.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bb23
My Device: 9700

Same error. I've managed to sync my old Blackberry 9700 to the new Z10 in terms of Phone contacts, but BBM contacts and groups - all gone. Every time I try to "Restore using device switch" I get "Temporary Server Error - a temporary server error has occured. Please try again." and I can only exit and restart the process. Done it multiple times now.

I've restarted my phone, tried doing it with the phone connected to my PC, all to no avail. 

I can't believe I have to manually add back my 150 contacts and ask the admin of BBM groups to remove my old pin and add my new one.

This is the worst.

Please use plain text.