If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Developer
lw3234
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Vodafone

BlackBerry 10 - Activesync Text Message / SMS Support

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a BlackbBerry Q10 since I was fed up with the my android phone leaking information in all directions, consuming a lot of time to configure and handle it.

First of all, I want to say that Iam quite happy with my decision and the way BlackBerry designed this phone. Finally a (Smart-) phone ready for business with a batterylife that does not demand me to use every chance to charge my device.

Most of all I appreciate the activesync integration bringing all this great MS Exchange features to my device. (Even syncing my notes !!! <- That's great, nearly nobody ever did that)

However, one thing, sadly, is missing after all. Activesync with MS Exchange Server 2010 offers a full integration to sync text/SMS messages and even to compose messages and send them through the phone. For me it is very important to have

a) a consistent managment for all of my communication, including text/sms messages (not only for backup reason, but also for storage of information)

b) the possibility to send text/sms messages in a comfortable way through MS Outlook using my mobile device connected via activesync.

I hope that this extension is currently under development and will be deployed soon as this is the last integration step for the activesync functionality on BB10.

Thank you for your attention and your time....

Hope to hear something about that topic soon !

Regards,

Ludwig

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: BlackBerry 10 - Activesync Text Message / SMS Support

hello,

do you have more information about that SMS feature in Exchange? It is the first time I read about it.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Developer
lw3234

Hi,

for sure.

Have a look here:

Exchange 2010 Text Message (SMS) Integration

and in addition to that at Microsoft:

Exchange 2010 Send/Receive Text Message (SMS)

Starting with Exchange Server 2010 Microsoft integrated the abilitiy for phones that are connected via Activesync to synchronize their text messages. Means, that received text messages automatically show up in the inbox and sent messages are stored under "Sent Items". Moreover it is possible to send text messages directly through Outlook or OWA from the computer. The message is then transferred via active sync to the corresponding phone and transmitted.

All this features are available and in my eyes it is a must for BB10 to have it integrated !

By the way, not only Windows Phones support this, the android app "Touchdown" does do this very well, but does not run on BB10 when converted.

Cheers.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

Thank you very much !

I don't know if it is a must-have, I know no one who uses it so maybe people can live without it :smileyhappy:

That being said, I contacted the Touchdown helpdesk, and they said there is an app for BlackBerry.

It seems to cost 20USD, but I do not see any requirements so I don't know if it is for BBOS or for BB10.

http://nitrodesk.com/purchase/for-blackberry/

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Developer
lw3234

Well,

it is a feature provided by Exchange Server in order to have an consistent information and message management across all devices. (PC, tablet, mobile,...)

For quite a lot of companies it is elementary that all communication can be saved and documented. Those of course would want this feature to work on BB10  (I know that this would be possible through Blackberry Enterprise)

By the way, it takes BB not much to implement this since all other functions realted to active sync are already in place. It also can be understood to complete the functionality.

Regarding Touchdown on BB10 I can say, that it is an complete android port working something like nothing at all. In addition to that, Touchdown also on android is quite awful since it is using its own database and GUIs neglecting all availabe APIs. For this reason I never used that, just know that it exists. :-)

The only way to store text / sms messages with exchange is to use "SyncLion" and transmit messages via IMAP into my inbox.  This as well has an significant drawback as SyncLion on BB only works in manual mode by pressing the "sync" button once in a while -> not acceptable. Furthermore it does show text messages than as standard emails and does not provide the option to sent messages through Outlook/OWA.

Consequently, all available solutions are just an aid doing the job more or less but basically unecessary since something proper is available but just not implemented ;-)

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Wuschy
My Device: BB Z10
My Carrier: Swisscom

Any news on this topic? This also is very important for me and I cannot understand, why Android is able to implement it, but BB not?!

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

hello,

I know my answer won't help you. But I don't think that BlackBerry is not able to implement it.

It is just that developers who develop for BlackBerry do not feel like implementing it, probably because this feature is not used by many people.

Another proof that this feature is not used by many people:
even Microsoft has not implemented it for their own Windows Phone8 smartphones:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wptext/sms-messaging-with-windows-phone-8-and-...

Please use plain text.
New Developer
lw3234

[ Edited ]

Hello,

the circumstance that this feature is not used by many people is probably due to the fact,  that most people switched to use services like "whatsapp" etc. instead of writing classic text messages. Obviousely Microsoft follows that trend and does not focus on that anymore, too.

I do not want to start a discussion about pros/cons of text messages vs. whatsapp, but I think that there is quite an amount of people, especially in the business area (where blackberry devices are aiming at) who do not want to have their short messages stored in unsecure 3rd part online services such as whatsapp. Neither they want (or are not allowed due to company policy) to be part of a "community". Sure, text messages are not encrypted as well, but anyway in this case only your provider and not the rest of the world can probably read your information.

For me it is like this, that I personally do not want to be bothered by 1000 of useless messages everyday through such services, which all people automatically generate when using it. (even in business sector). Furthermore to keep all information together in one system it is necessary to synchronize also short messages since quite often there is information provided that I might want to review in some months again by searching in outlook.

Looking at the current situation of BB I think they should start caring more about their core business (to get into the pockets of managers again). For this they should stop thinking about "how to by sexy like iPhone" etc. rather than thinking about proper implementation of widely spread communication systems such as Exchange with all of its features. There is no need for an facebook app on my blackberry, no need for preinstalled "story maker".

What BB core customers want (in my opinion) is proper communication via phone, email, sms and sheduling of appointments in one synchronized system like blackberry hub (<- very good !), the possibility to review something briefly in the internet and proper OFFLINE navigation to reach their destination.

Most of that things are implement very nicely...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Wuschy
My Device: BB Z10
My Carrier: Swisscom

I absolutly agree with lw3234! There is an option available on Exchange and BB isn't implementing it? Android is currently the only OS which is able to handle this and I loved it, so this makes me thinking about to go back to android  just because I can archive & send messages via computer without having my mobile phone specially connected to the computer or use any third party application. As I'm the IT Manager of a small company, I'll have to deceide, what mobile our employees have to use for our company... (and I was really looking forward to BB since I'm currently using a Z10)

Please use plain text.