Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
berryBlackFrum
My Device: Seeking to be a bb user
My Carrier: Might change depending on the BB device offering

BlackBerry forum: Does BB 10 fit the bill?

I've been looking to replace my 1st generation iPod Touch for years now. I'm not naturally an Apple fan, but we got this device from work. I switched to it when my Palm PDA started dying. The Touch also eventually worked poorly and unreliably for a host of reasons. Android looked like a solution, but I held back because of what I read about its security model. I keep a lot of information on PDA that definitely should not go into the cloud or be accessed by any app other than the host notes/contacts/calendar app.

The BB now seems to be the best solution, so I browsed online articles and videos. Now I'm wondering if I can get feedback from those familiar with the device on how it meets my itemized requirements.

As a reference point, let me be clear that I think Palm use to be the golden standard. Being a throwback to those days, I don't use many of the capabilities of the new devices. I don't do games, social media, I am not constantly connected, so the BB hub is probably not a clincher. About the only real-time communication I do is occassional texting and cellphoning on my cell phone. For my past PDAs, the core apps are calendar, contacts, & notes. Over the years, I've gotten to appreciate WiFi-enabled capabilities like mail (IMAP), maps, browsing, streaming music/radio, the occassional short video. Apart from WiFi, I have also gotten spoiled with MP3 files, podcasts, camera, and not having to use Palm's error-prone stylus/graffiti.

Things that I haven't experienced on the same device but would like to are phone (right from contacts if possible), texting, data plan, video recording, lower bandwidth voice recording, FM radio, and landscape orientation slide-out keyboard. A non-slide-out takes too much display area, and a portrait oriented keyboard is too error prone for my hands. It is a blessing for one-hand usage, but I'm willing to give that up. I've never seen a device with slide-out keyboards in both portrait and landscape orientation, and I doubt that any vendors will make a slide-out of any orientation for the BB 10.

About security, I realize that BB has the firewall between the corporate and personal use, but this will be a personal device so that is a nonissue. More of concern is avoiding a hazard that a friend described with respect to Android -- he said that there are times when the user can hit the wrong button and sync contacts with Google's cloud. This was a deal breaker. The only thing I want clouded was email, since I use gmail anyway. Other than that, clouding is a definite no-no. Does BB email have to go through the RIM cloud, or can I set up an IMAP client directly to gmail? How does one sync calendar, notes, and contact with Outlook? Does it go through a USB cable, home WiFi, or does it have to go through a cloud? What about syncing media files such as sound tracks and pod cast episodes?

The final thing I'm wondering is a bit of a biggy. It just drives me nuts that OS/app developers insist on throwing the time-of-day in your face at every turn. I am trying (as I always have been) to convert myself from a night-owl to a normal person with enough sleep. Being constantly hammered on the head with the time is the death knell for this. This behaviour is baked into the DNA of most devices/OSs. The irony is that I doubt most people care about the time of day at every waking second. Is there a reasonably simple way to ensure that the time is not shown except when specifically needed?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
toddmmmmm
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telstra

Re: BlackBerry forum: Does BB 10 fit the bill?

I am an ex-Palm user and I also liked them.  I am not a huge feature user and basically need the same from a phone as you.  Forst and foremost, it is a phone and the Blackberry outperforms the iPod phones in this respect hands down.

I don't think you will ever see a landscape slider in Blackberry.  I would love to see one too, but have been waiting too long. I have a Z10 and the virtual keyboard is awesome with its advance word prediction etc.  It addresses the shortfalls of most touch screens but I am still a fan of the keypad of the old Treo and the Blackberry Bolds I have owned.

If you want a real keypad, the Q10 is the go.

I don't know about the time, but I am pretty certain it can be switched on and off (I have not tried, I used my phone instead of wearing a watch).

Please use plain text.
Contributor
berryBlackFrum

Thanks, toddmmmmm. Given what I've heard about the improved virtual keyboards these days, I think I prefer Z10 over the Q10. It has more display area when that matters.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
AYC2112
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

I have the Z10 and I think it's a quality product. I think it would match most on your list of criteria. I particularly love the flicking and predictive text. It's not got as many apps as Google /iOS phones but I'm still happy I chose the Z10. Like you o don't care so much about the other peripheral features. I also like the "play on" feature that let's you play video on your TV wirelessly. I think Apple has that too but it's got to be done through some proprietary mumbo jumbo lime their Apple TV.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
berryBlackFrum

Thanks for that testimonial, AY2112
Please use plain text.
Contributor
AYC2112

I should also mention another great feature is that the flow from one screen to another is so efficient. My wife has a Samsung she got 15 months ago. I was just fooling around with it the other day. The way the menu screens are organized seemed good only for the person(s) who designed it. I suppose if you're used to it it's no big deal but it did remind me of how effortless the movements are between screens on the Z10 is. I'm new to smartphones but I suspect you'd like the Z10 if that's what you ended up deciding on.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
berryBlackFrum

Now you're making me drool, AYC2112...  Thanks...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
AYC2112

I know there bare some haters out there, but I'm not one of them. If BlackBerry had this product out two years ago, they'd be leading the way instead of Samsung/Apple with the apps dilemma. As it is, I still think it's a superior product (and I have Apple computers at home) and the best on the market. I could go on and on..... so which phone did you go with?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
berryBlackFrum

Well, I've *decided* to go with BB 10, virtual keyboard.  Have yet to follow up.  It will probably be a big decision that affects replacing disparate cell/DSL/phone companies with a single consolidated provider at hopefully a lower overall cost.  Then I can get the phone for "free" by being shackled to the provider for 3 years.

I haven't decided with the shackling yet.  Wiser (i.e. more paranoid) smartphone graybeards have described getting a smartphone independently from any provider, and sucking up the several hundred dollars, just to avoid any service-provider-ware that might be installed on a "free" phone.

BTW, would you know if the syncing with Outlook is done over USB and/or local WiFi rather than the cloud?  The ability to avoid cloudiness is a key criterion. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
toddmmmmm
My Carrier: Telstra

I'm a huge fan of the outright purchase. Telstra here adds all sorts of unremovable content that is branded.

Also, in my experience, the phones themselves, even the more robust of them (Blackberry), suffer from ageing before the contract period is up.

Yes. The phone can be synchronised over USB and the cloud and as much as I love my Z10, this needs a lot of work. It's clunky and unreliable. I had some trouble even getting the phone recognised (and I am what I would call a computer nerd and Blackberry pundit). Mounted as a drive, the phone and SD card us painfully slow.

I agree with the praise regarding flow from screen to screen, it is very intuitive and responsive and, having had a PlayBook for quite a while, I had no learning curve at all. It's all very intuitive.

Would be nice if messengers and the like remembered the path you took into them because if you go 'back' it takes you to the hub. The hub would be better if it too you to the root of it by default.

Generally as a phone it is fantastic with a few quirks to sort out (and they will).

Please use plain text.