Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

adrianoancea
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

Blackberry subscription

I heard that on the blackberry 10 models the blackberry subscription plan for e-mails is not available.

The only solution will be to use the general internet connection.

So if it's true, what happends when I buy the Q5, do I stil have to pay for a service which is no longer available?

Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry subscription

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

For all BB10 devices (Z10, Q10, and Q5), BIS (what you call "blackberry subscription plan for e-mails") is no longer used. BB10 was provided a full on-device email client, and no longer uses BIS for BB-proprietary services.

If you switch from your 9700 to any BB10 device, you will need to talk to your carrier about changing from a BB-specific (BIS) data plan over to a generic data plan.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

In addition to sdgardne's correct reply, you can also keep your current BIS plan with your carrier. BB10 doesn't use BIS anymore but if your current monthly plan has features and add-ons you like, just keep it and your phone will still work.

Cheers. :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Actually, not to contradict too much...but I have heard, somewhere on this site, of some folks reporting that their BB10 device would not work on their carrier network if their BIS plan remained active. I do not recall which carriers or regions that came from, but I do recall hearing about it more than once.

It may have all settled down now -- I do know that the carriers had to do some network re-configurations in order to accommodate BB10 devices, and perhaps they have finished that now and this is no longer an issue.

But, each carrier continues to be responsible for delivery of 100% of the services for their users...so in actuality, they are the best source of information as to what data plans, from them, that can be used on a BB10 device on their network.

(In my above reply, I probably should have said "may" rather than "will" in regards to needing to talk to the carrier...)

Cheers!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
adrianoancea
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone

Hi to all!

Thank you for the details in clearing this topic.

But if BIS is no longer available, RIM remains only as company which manufactures mobile phones?

I bought my first Blackberry due to the BIS advantages of compacting data and security.

In the future the Blackberry services will be non existent, or they will be replacced by some other form of internet service?

Thank you!
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

adrianoancea wrote:
But if BIS is no longer available, RIM remains only as company which manufactures mobile phones?

Plus software, and proprietary services (e.g., BBM), and other things. You can read their entire public marketing strategy elsewhere...no need to parrot it here. Plus, BIS remains in place for all legacy devices, for they cannot abandon it.

adrianoancea wrote:

In the future the Blackberry services will be non existent, or they will be replacced by some other form of internet service?

It's already done. BB10 devices use generic data plans, just like all other SmartPhones now. But, as I said, legacy devices continue to use BIS, for they cannot shift away from it due to their architecture.

As for what will come in the future...no one here can say, for if anyone has such knowledge, they would be barred from revealing it (proprietary information, NDA, forward looking statements, etc.).

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.