Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
chrisrjrose
My Device: Not Specified

Exchange ActiveSync over Wifi Problems

Hello all,

I have successfully configured an Exchange ActiveSync account hosted on an Exchange 2007 server. However, it only works over the LTE/HSPA+ Bell Canada network. When I connect to ANY wifi network the activesync account stops working, all other e-mail accounts configured through IMAP continue to function as expected.

I have also tried this with other Exchange accounts on other servers via ActiveSync and experienced the same problem.

Am I the only person who has experienced this? Its not a huge issue, however to save on my mobile data usage I would like to be able to use wifi whenever possible.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Exchange ActiveSync over Wifi Problems

Hello,

That is an odd situation. It may be that the server itself is blocking the connection...you should have the server/network/firewall admins take a look to be sure they are allowing the connection via the pathway you are attempting. You can also test by configuring other non-BB ActiveSync mobile devices and see if they experience the same issue.

Otherwise, you might want to consider reporting this via your carrier for formal support...there may be a need to escalate to BlackBerry for further evaluation.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
chrisrjrose

I should have stated that I have configured this same account on my Playbook, an iPod touch, and a Samsung Tab 2 10.1 all of which have operated over wifi and have experienced no issues.

I was also trying to configure another exchange account on the Z10 from a completely separate host and server and it will not work either while connected to wifi, but over the LTE/HPSA+ network its perfect.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Ah...OK...yes that helps to understand, thank you.

An odd situation, and one likely deserving escalation via your carrier for formal support. I suggest you follow that route.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
chrisrjrose

So, here's some additional info...

Using the modem/router provided by my ISP configured with WPA for wifi protection ActiveSync will not function on my Z10.

If I connect a secondary router with wifi configured into the first router (double NAT) and configure the wifi on this router it works great.

I have experienced some wifi networks which will allow activesync to work and others that will not.

Again this is a hosted service so I am not on the same network as the exchange server. I have read about DNS issues causing this because the phone is inside the network as opposed to outside the network.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Ahhh...yes, that definitely rules the Z10 as well as the email service itself from being directly causal. Rather, the network is now the cause, given your test results. I'm not sure actually how to advise you to proceed...other than finding a way to perhaps put a static route into the internal network that allows the Z10 to get to the server when they are both where they are. But that's for the "network gods" to figure out, I'd think!

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.