Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Regular Contributor
Jjang
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: TELUS

Hard Deleting of Messages

I am using the BB Z10 in an exchange active sync configuration (Exchange 2003)

When i delete a message on my Z10 - it is hard deleted from my office mailbox as well - it does not go to the deleted items

Can you please advise - this must be a mistake and i can turn it off somewhere right?

James

Please use plain text.
Contributor
robertach
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Hard Deleting of Messages

Yes, this is a big problem as deleting messages on Z10 also deletes them from the email server which is not good! This also happens on the PlayBook and somehting that should be in Options:

"Leave messages on server".

RIM/BlackBerry are you listening?

Bob

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Belladog
My Device: Blackberry 10
My Carrier: Z10 Rogers

Yes, I'm having the same problem.  I have contacted Blackberry and they are working on this problem.  Let's hope it gets fixed sooner than later.  I lost some important emails yesterday!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
CarlaL
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Sasktel

i talked to them about it.

they said currently this is not a feature.

sigh

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Belladog

I agree this is a feature that should be on. I just checked my daughters ipad and iPhone and there are diferent choices for leaving on the server. Returning my Z10 today.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Belladog

Here's the response I received from Blackberry. My Z10 is going back :smileysad: BlackBerry Hi Kim. Thanks for your question about email feature on your BlackBerry Z10. The email accounts now reconcile with your mail server so when you delete an email from your device it will be removed form your server as well. There is no option to delete... 13 hours ago ·
Please use plain text.
Contributor
robertach

I wouldn't return your Z10 just for that reason as there will likely be an update to correct this. I have just learned not to Delete messages on the Z10 untill I have downloaded them to my PC. Simple fix.

This is far too good a device with so many excellent features and just train yourself to not delete from device.

Bob

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Jjang
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: TELUS

there are 2 issues being addressed here in the same posting - which are 2 different problems.

Problem 1:  When on Exchange Active Sync - when you delete a message from your handheld, it is HARD DELETED from your exchange mailbox.  Every other device - when you do this, the message is deleted from the handheld and MOVED to the deleted bin, on you your exchange mailbox

Problem 2:  Their used to be a option on the old blackberry with BES, where you could select where items get deleted - Mailbox and Heldheld or handheld only....  Personally i dont care about this option, as i want my mail synced between all devices - but apparently some people did like this feature - to delete on their handheld and leave the message in their exchange mailbox.

My concern is Problem #1

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dfav
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Jjang wrote:

there are 2 issues being addressed here in the same posting - which are 2 different problems.

Problem 1:  When on Exchange Active Sync - when you delete a message from your handheld, it is HARD DELETED from your exchange mailbox.  Every other device - when you do this, the message is deleted from the handheld and MOVED to the deleted bin, on you your exchange mailbox

I just tried this and I can definitely confirm this behaviour: delete a message and it's immediately removed without recourse, unless you catch it on your desktop before it syncs.  That's very poor---it ought to trash it as you note--and it's definitely not the same as what iOS and Android do.  

I would certainly consider this a bug.

I don't recall the PlayBook's EAS client doing this, but mine's in for repair and I cannot confirm this behaviour.

This is with Google Apps for Business, connecting via EAS (rather than IMAP).  I assume Exchange or any other EAS server would do the same.

Problem 2:  Their used to be a option on the old blackberry with BES, where you could select where items get deleted - Mailbox and Heldheld or handheld only....  Personally i dont care about this option, as i want my mail synced between all devices - but apparently some people did like this feature - to delete on their handheld and leave the message in their exchange mailbox.

This feature used to drive me crazy. I know some people liked it, but it used to really bother me how the two mailboxes would drop out of sync.  

Please use plain text.
Contributor
robertach

PlayBook handles deletes of messages the same way. Delete them on the PlayBook and they are gone from the POP server so I just leave all my messages on the Z10 or Playbook until I download them from the POP server then delete them. If they are just Junk mail which most often the case, I Delete them on the Z10 or PlayBook and I don't have to clog up my PC with useless messages.

Just my way of handling this irritant. Not a big issue but new users should be aware of this behaviour.

Bob

Please use plain text.