Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
dareys
My Carrier: TELCEL

How do you perform backups of BlackBerry 10 to the cloud as was posible with previous releases of BlackBerry?

Greetings,

In previous versions of RIM, you could download a BlackBerry Protect and not only locate and wipe your device remotely, but also back it up to the cloud. 

Now the functionality apparently comes in the device out of the box. I saw the demo on how to log into BlackBerry and wipe the device or locate it from a PC, but not how to back it up.

Can anyone send me a link to that demo please? 

Thank you.

Regards,

Jean-Pierre

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: How do you perform backups of BlackBerry 10 to the cloud as was posible with previous releases of BlackBerry?

Data backups are no longer a feature of BlackBerry Protect with BB10 devices. :smileysad:

Cheers. :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dareys

Re: How do you perform backups of BlackBerry 10 to the cloud as was posible with previous releases of BlackBerry?

Bill,

Data backups are no longer a feature of BlackBerry Protect.... Huge bummer. Music, videos, and pictures are good to backup... but what about contacts, phones, email addresses, physical addresses, calendar, agenda? Now, this looks just like another Iphone to me, except that with Iphone you can back everything up to the cloud... Is there any other way to backup your contacts? Maybe to a PC? But, even then, I preffer backup to  the cloud. Thank you for your response.

Regards,

Jean-Pierre

Please use plain text.
Elite III
John_Clark
My Carrier: AT&T

You can use the BB LInk software to backup the device. I highly recommend you do so.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dareys

Yes, backup to my PC then, but does that include data? 

Please use plain text.
Elite III
John_Clark

It includes everything that is not sync'd with the cloud. Email doesn't backup and contacts that sync'd with the cloud won't be backed up. If you have locally stored calendar and contacts they will be backed up.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dareys

Greetigns,

- For my friend who just bought a BlackBerry 10, and has never backed up anything, I presume using

BlackBerry Protect and BlackBerry Link will be sufficient to back up music, pictures, video, calendar and

contacts.

Please confirm. 

- Personally, I am using a BlackBerry Torch, pre v. 10 of the OS. I backup to disk, and I backup to the cloud.

Q: How would I migrate all my contacts to BlackBerry 10, and then how would I keep doing backups of 

contacts? 

Thank you for your input.

Regards,

Jean-Pierre 

Please use plain text.
Elite III
John_Clark

BB Protect does NOT backup anything to the cloud in BB10 as it used to in BB7.1 and older. You MUST make manual backups.

As for how to migrate contacts, you can do that with the Link software or you can export them to a cloud service like Gmail or Outlook.com and sync them using CardDAV in the case of Google or ActiveSync in the case of Outlook.com
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dareys

Thank you for the response. That is a sad state of affairs.

The reason I bought a BlackBerry is that it is a very powerful, portable and secure business communication device. Phone, SMS, BlackBerry Messenger, personal email. corporate email, compression, encryption, local backups to PCs and Backups on the Cloud, opening documents like Word, Excel, Powerpoint, calculator etc.

If taking pictures, video and music where my priority, and I did not care about encryption, security, recoverability,  I would have bought an Iphone years ago. BlackBerry had all these things Apple did not. Now it looks like the opposite.

If they don´t bring back these things, they are going to loose customers like me...

Manual backups require a PC for the backup and the restore. It is a security flaw. Anyone that gets ahold of my PC can restore the contents of my device onto another BlackBerry.  In addition, Backing up by hand requires that I have a PC handy. Fine when I am doing a backup, not ok if I am on Business in Buenos Aires, and my phone is lost.

I can buy a new one anywhere, but  I can´t restore till I get home. So, there I am in Buenos Aires, waisting time and incommunicado. With cloud backups, I can be back and operational in twenty minutes from the time I get the new phone. Ok, maybe 30 minutes.. But that means I have ALL of my contacts. I have done this four or five times.

See my point? Now if BlackBerry wants me to go APPLE, well, gee, why don´t they just say so?

Thank you for your input.

Regards,

Jean-Pierre

P.S. I made this mistake with the PC world... You know, not adopting Apple in order to be more productive, concentrate on making money rather than fighting hackers.... But I have learned the lesson. I am not waiting very

long for BlackBerry to fix this in 10, or my migration, goes Apple. Just being practical. Only one life to live.

Please use plain text.
Elite III
John_Clark

I guess I don't understand. BB still does ALL of these things. If you're on a corporate BES you can't use Protect anyway.

You're also mistaken when you say anyone can restore a backup. That is not the case. The backup will only restore to a device that is logged in with the same BBID that the backup was made under. So, no, nobody can restore your backup to another device...unlike other devices.

Moreover, the bb10 device needs less of a backup than the older devices. All email is stored on the server and sync'd to the device. Same with calendar, contacts, etc. The only thing I need a backup for is my password Keeper and a monthly backup is more than enough for that.
Please use plain text.