Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
brock-n
My Device: Playbook, Z10
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

How to Kill an App?

I've come across this problem a couple of times and my only way out was to turn off the phone, then switch back on...

Problem: some apps work in landscape mode and don't seem to respect the gestures as they should.  The last example is 'Mahjong Legends', which I've used happily on my PlayBook.  I saw that it was available in the Blackberry World list on the Z10 (evidently, it was listing apps I've downloaded for the PlayBook that we assume are also compatible with the Z10), so I downloaded it.  All was good as it started... right away in landscape mode.  The game plays, but there is no 'quit' option in the app menu.  And swiping from any edge did absolutely nothing.  No way to get out of the app that I could see.

Is there a trick to this, or is it a bug?

A follow-up question... should the swipes rotate with viewing mode (landscape/portrait)?  Perhaps my Otter Box is interfering with the bezels on the long edges, but I seem to get locked into landscape mode once in a while...

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread
My Device: Z10

Re: How to Kill an App?

[ Edited ]

Yes, the swipes follow the rotation unless the orientation lock is on. In landscape the swipe to go back to the tile view needs to be from whatever long edge is on the bottom currently.

It sounds like the Ottherbox gets in the way from what I've been reading.

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
brock-n

Well, I returned the Otterbox Defender.  As much as I value the build quality of the product and the protection it provides, it makes the phone hugely more difficult to use.  The problem I was having was indeed a direct result of the edge of the screen being covered a bit too much by the box.  As well, the magnet on the belt clip didn't function as it should (that is, it did nothing) and the belt clip / box connection was tough to get right with one hand (two falls as a result!).  

I'll have to look around some more for a reasonable replacement...

Please use plain text.
Visitor
Zed-Zee
My Carrier: Wireless

Did removing the case solve the problem? I don't have a case on my Z10 and I am finding it difficult, as did you, to kill an app when there is no identifiable icon to tap...I cannot seem to bring the home screen up in either portrait or landscape view and have many times just resorted to turning the unit off and starting it up again...very annoying. It seems like this is a common theme running around the message boards and I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has some advice on how to easily kick myself out of an app. I have only done so by pure luck a few times...but most of the time, I am stuck on the screen to no avail.... Thanks for any info. anyone can provide.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
brock-n

Removing the case absolutely did solve the problem.  I was confronted with the problem in two different circumstances.  

The first was 'Mahjong Legends', which opens in landscape mode and doesn't rotate to portrait.  I had zero luck swiping the bottom of the landscape mode to minimize the app for closing.  Removing the case solved this and I can swipe up from the bottom of the long portrait edge to shut it down.

The second was the web browser, in landscape mode.  I eventually did manage to minimize it while in landscape mode, but it took several trys and significant pressure from the edge of the case onto the screen.  Too much to be usable in my opinion.  I could rotate to portrait to make the upward swipe work, but I shouldn't need to.  Without the case, the phone just works as it should, and feels much more like my PlayBook.

I saw a comment somewhere about the protective screen portion of the Otterbox causing trouble.  Some have cut it off.  I didn't try that as I wanted to return it... ;-) but it might be at least a partial solution for some who can't NOT use that box!

Knowing what I do today, I'll be very fussy with my case selection.  I put a screen protector film (are those over-priced or what?!) on it for the moment and will watch to see what comes on the market.  I like the BB holster, but it doesn't seem to be large enough to allow any sort of skin.  Roots is evidently coming out with something similar to the Otterbox which I'll look at, but who knows...

Please use plain text.
UNivek

Hi All, wonder if there is a 'task manager' like view to kill/terminate an app. Reason being I found when an app is hung, even thought I can 'kill' it with the gesture view that shows all apps running. (clicking X) It appears to maintain some form of cached stated such that it returns to that same window when its restarted.
Please use plain text.