Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
oxacuk
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Orange Mauritius

Meaning of mobile network signal icons in BlackBerry 10

[ Edited ]

Hello, I would like to know what are the meaning of each of the icons displayed next to the mobile network signal strength indicator on my BlackBerry Z10.

All the possible icons are shown in the second and third row of the table on this page.

In this may be of use, the model number of my device is STL100-2. Its mobile network radio specifications are as follows:

• Quad-band LTE support: LTE 800, LTE 900, LTE 1800, LTE 2600 MHz
  • Tri-band HSPA+ support: UMTS 850, UMTS 900, UMTS 2100 MHz band
  • Quad-band GSM support: GSM 850, GSM 900, DCS 1800, PCS 1900 MHz
  • Power class: Class 1 (DCS 1800, PCS 1900), Class 4 (GSM 850) as defined in GSM 5.05, Class 4 (GSM 900) as defined in GSM 02.06, Class E2 (GSM 850, GSM 900, DCS 1800, PCS 1900), Class 3 (UMTS, LTE)
  • Transmitting frequency: GSM 824 to 849 MHz, GSM 880 to 915 MHz, DCS 1710 to 1785 MHz, PCS 1850 to 1910 MHz, IMT 1920 to 1980 MHz, LTE 832 to 862 MHz, LTE 2500 to 2570 MHz
  • Receiving frequency: GSM 869 to 894 MHz, GSM 925 to 960 MHz, DCS 1805 to 1880 MHz, PCS 1930 to 1990 MHz, IMT 2110 to 2170 MHz, LTE 791 to 821 MHz, LTE 2620 to 2690 MHz

At first, I thought that the "g"/"G", "h"/"H",  and "h+"/"H+" stand for GSM, HSPA and HSPA+ respectively.

However, I then realised that GSM could as well be indicated by "2g"/"2G", HSPA by "3g"/"3G", and HSPA+ by "4g"/"4G".

So, now, I'm back to square one: I'm unsure of the meaning of any of the icons.

Also, I have no idea at all of the meanings of the "e"/"E" and "1x"/"1X".

It does seem logical, though, that going from right to left (in the table), the icons indicate better signal type.

Note also that the only icons that my device has displayed since I've been using it (yesterday) are "e", "g" and, "h".

This is my first BlackBerry device ever, so I do not know much of how the BlackBerry Internet Service works. However, I've been told at a store of my mobile network operator that the "configuration" for the BlackBerry Z10 "has not yet been received". In fact, they are not marketing the Z10 yet; I purchased mine on eBay.

Though I do not really understand what the guy meant, I am guessing that it may the reason for which my device is picking up only the worst of possible signal types. Or, maybe not. I rely, here, on any experienced BlackBerry user(s) to correct me if my wrong.

So, that's it. Hoping to get some useful information soon...

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Meaning of mobile network signal icons in BlackBerry 10

Hey oxacuk,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question.

2G, 3G, H+, 4G and LTE in upper case means you have voice and data services.  If you have a BlackBerry symbol beside these indicators then it means you're connected to the BlackBerry Infrastructure.

If the indicators are lower case 2g, 3g,h, edge or gsm, then you only have voice services and no data connectivity.  Without data connectivity you will not be connected to the BlackBerry Infrastructure.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bbmarch1
My Device: using Android
My Carrier: mobifone

ViciousFerret :

If i have Wifi conected & 2G gsm only, will be connected to the BlackBerry Infrastructure?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

yes.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mchermann
My Device: bold 9780
My Carrier: Swisscom

And whats the diffrent on Screen between the 4G and 4Glte icon?

I only have 4G. On other provider (other device and SIM) same country 4Glte. And on my device never H+ or so. Only 3G. Is this diffrent beetwen Provider version?

Thanks for answer.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

sorry it took me some time to fetch the information :smileyhappy:
Among the 2G specification, you have GSM / GPRS / EDGE (which is several GPRS channels in parallel).

Among the 3G specification, you have what people call 3G, 3G+ or H+.

Among the 4G specification, unless you live in China, there is only one implementation, which is LTE.

Each carrier can decide what label they send to the phone. So for carriers that provide LTE, they can send "4G" or "LTE" or "4GLTE" or '4G-LTE" and so on.

Some carriers say they provide 4G, but the truth is that they only provide H+ (which is a very fast 3G).

- GPRS is part of 2G
- EDGE is part of 2G
- 3G is part of 3G
- 3G+ is part of 3G (it's getting complicated isn't it :smileyhappy: )
- H+ is part of 3G.
- LTE is part of 4G.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mchermann
My Device: bold 9780
My Carrier: Swisscom

No it's not getting complicating. 

Youre answer is ok. That means on the 3G Network the provider also decide the symbols like 3G or H+. Because i'm sure i'm in H+ but showns only 3G. Only on BlackBerry 10 it is.

Please use plain text.