Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Regular Contributor
dave-willis-cc
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Orange (UK)
Accepted Solution

OS10 PIN Messages

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering whether anyone knows whether it is at all possible to send PIN messages anymore? I have looked in the Hub app and can't see the option, I have also tried going to that contact in the contacts app and still no option. I was just wondering as I wanted to send a mate a PIN message as everytime I try to BBM them it comes up with a red cross :smileyfrustrated: 

Regards,

Dave

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: OS10 PIN Messages

Hello,

Sending of PIN messages via BB10 is not presently available, though I have been told that they can be received.

My guess is that PIN messaging was considered rather redundant to BBM (true or not, but that's my theory as to their "insider" thinking) and therefore eliminated.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
dave-willis-cc

Thanks for the heads up, do you have any idea why the "X" is appearing when I BBM this contact? I have messaged him previously on my Z10 and it work fine, until today when I connected my Z10 to BlackBerry Link and it updated the OS (even  though the OTA in Software Updates said I had the latest version). Any thoughts on this issue?

Regards,

Dave

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

I've heard of some update processes causing some radio-related issues for folks, but I'm not sure the final result, and that usually had to do with using "leaked" OS versions rather than the official versions (which is all that Link should offer you).

Have you tried a normal batt-pull reboot? Sometimes that clears up issues.

Otherwise you'd need to contact your mobile service provider for formal support and potential escalation up to BlackBerry.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
dave-willis-cc

I've tried battery pull and also restarting but it still hasn't worked. I'm sent him a Facebook message asking him to BBM me to see if it works that way. I'm thinking of rebooting the software again but this time not updating on Link.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
dave-willis-cc

It turns out that the issue wasn't my side, but his. His BIS subscription had ran out. I suppose that is one good thing about BB10 not utilising BIS. Although no unlimited Internet is a BIG downside to BB10.
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Ahhhh yes, that would indeed cause that to happen! Excellent find!

As for BIS and BB10, do keep in mind that unlimited internet via BIS does not exist in all markets...in some markets, BIS costs almost double what a non-BIS plan costs, and does not provide such benefits as unlimited internet. So, for some, BB10 may mean an increase in services for less cost, for others it may mean less services for the same cost. Different things in different markets.

Cheers!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
mikerh
My Device: Bold 9200
My Carrier: Rogers

I think RIM may not understand how PIN to PIN messages were being utilized.   There are times when my mail system is down, and PIN to PIN is still working.   I would think RIM would see that function / scenario as another reason why folks would chose a blackberry device over an phone or the galaxy.   RIM please bring back PIN to PIN on the BB10.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
wrash
My Carrier: T-Mobile

PIN messaging is restored in BBOS 10.1, which is going to be on the Q10 when it ships in May. Here's the review of that phone:

http://www.eweek.com/mobile/blackberry-q10-delivers-plenty-to-like-for-diehard-keyboard-fans/

OS 10.1 will also be available for the Z10 at some point, according to a spokesperson at BlackBerry, but I'm not certain when.

Wayne Rash

Please use plain text.