Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Regular Contributor
kmascoll
My Device: bbz10
My Carrier: fido :(

One more BIS question

I'm about to travel for the first time with this z10. I'll be going to the Caribbean using Digicel as my carrier. I was under the impression that the z10 no longer uses BIS, but when contacting the carrier for sim activation instructions they said the z10 will only work with their service on a BIS plan.

To quote them exactly:

"The BB Z10 handset uses the blackberry internet service not smartphone service which is mainly for Non BB handsets (eg Samsung, LG, Apple).

In addition, the only way to confirm if your BB Z10 can utilize the service is activate a Prepaid BIS plan (*136#) & follow the steps provided"

I'm with Fido and I'm pretty sure I'm not using BIS.

Am I missing something?
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: One more BIS question

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Nope...you are missing nothing. The folks at Fido, on the other hand, are...or perhaps might be. BB10 indeed does not use BIS, and in many cases there are reports of BIS existing on the account for a BB10 device actually impeding services. The carriers also are having to go through some network reconfiguration so as to support both legacy and BB10 devices, and there are reports of some carriers telling their users that the BB10 device will require BIS during that transition period, but that it can be dropped later. Further still, there are reports of some legacy and BB10 services stopping, starting, stopping again, and starting again.

All of this points (IMHO) to this being a transition period where the carriers must reconfigure their networks as well as train their folks about how things now will work for BB10, which is quite different from legacy.

If any of that is not yet completed at Fido, then that could be the issue here. Example -- if the person you quoted has not received proper training, then they may well have answered incorrectly.

I can attest that even with the most basic of "pre paid" plans on TMO USA (a mere US$30/month, with no BIS at all), everything works perfectly on my Z10.

YMMV

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.