Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
oddiofile
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: t-mobile

Portrait QWERTY vs slide-out QWERTY

[ Edited ]

I realize Blackberry's signature style is a portrait qwerty, but why is it that nobody is making a slide-out QWERTY keyboard anymore?

If blackberry users are the die-hard physical keyboard fans, it would make a lot of sense for Blackberry to release a slider-keyboard version of the Z10/Q10. Such a phone could have the same physical screen size as the Z10 but also a pocket-size landscape keyboard!

Please engineers, release such a phone!! I would buy it. I don't think I will ever be able to type on a touch screen like I can on a keyboard, and I think I will miss the large screen size if I go to the Q10.

ics.com - Where Qt experts work.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: Portrait QWERTY vs slide-out QWERTY

there are no rumors of a BlackBerry phone with such a form factor.

Among the reasons:
1) no other competitor does that anymore
2) the mechanical parts of the 9800 / 9810 get worn out after a while, and people then say the device is a bad quality
3) the device would be bulky (in depth), which is not what people want in 2013/2014.

That being said, how long have you had the DevAlpha? Do you use it as a primary device? I am as fast on my 8900 than on my Z10 as far as typing texts is involved.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
oddiofile

[ Edited ]

Reason #1 is no reason at all.
Reason #2 only has to be a reason if you make bad quality parts.
Reason #3, I realize it's not what some people want, but keyboards in general are a niche market, and blackberry already has it. So that doesn't seem like a good reason either.

In answer to your question, I've had the DevAlpha for a couple of months only. And I'm using another touchscreen phone now, so it's not like I'm new to the concept. I realize some virtual keyboards are better than others, but they all have the same problem: they're not real keyboards.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
oddiofile

[ Edited ]

While the trend lately has been towards bigger screens, imagine a slide-out landscape QWERTY style phone with a 3.5" diagonal wide screen.

It could have the same aspect ratio as the Z10, but it doesn't need to be as big.
Sure, it would be thicker due to the keyboard, but it can still be a nice pocket-friendly size/design.

Think of how nicely the Nokia N97 mini fits in your hand and your pocket.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

I personally would love that indeed. I don't care for the depth of the phone.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
AndroidTwister
My Device: Z10, Q10 (partners really), PlayBook
My Carrier: None

I'd love the screensize of the Z10 with a slide out physical keyboard.

You say there is no rumour but what about this...

http://crackberry.com/latest-patent-shows-new-blackberry-10-slider

=====================================
Recent BlackBerry 10 convert (from guess what)
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

and don't you think it looks more like a patent for the Torch 9810 than for a BlackBerry 10 phone ? :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.