Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
aha_bb
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Question about Chinese input

[ Edited ]

Hi,

When i try to input Chinese characters, sometimes the character or the world I am trying to type in doesn't appear in the in-letter suggestions. I know there is a way to show all the characters associated with the PinYin I input because I somehow stumbled on it once by accident, after that I can't invoke that list anymore.

Does anyone know the gesture to invoke that list?

BTW, what's up with this site? the keyboard behave very strange when I am typing this message.

Please use plain text.
Administrator (Retired)
FozzieBear
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: Question about Chinese input

Hello aha_bb,

Thank you for your question.

Can you please clarify which list you are referring to?

You can enable up to 3 Language on by swiping down on your BlackBerry Z10 home screen and selecting Settings > Language and Input > Input Languages > Add remove languages.

Are you referring to Spell Check?

Thanks.

-FB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click "Accept as a Solution" for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
aha_bb

Hi FozzieBear,

Thank you for your reply.

A Chinese character can be input by typing a series of English characters representing the pronunciation of the Chinese character. While I am typing, the keyboard would display the suggestions on letters just like how it works in English. The problem is, there are many Chinese characters share the same pronunciation so the keyboard won't be able to display all those options in the "Conventional" way. There was once I accidentally stumble on a way that the keyboard would pop out a small windows with all the possible characters in there for selection. There was a very nice feature but I could not trigger it anymore and couldn't find any document about it. Are you aware of this feature?

Thanks,
Please use plain text.
Administrator (Retired)
FozzieBear

Hello aha_bb,

Which model of BlackBerry smartphone are you currently using?

Thanks.

-FB

Please use plain text.
Contributor
aha_bb

Z10
Please use plain text.
Administrator (Retired)
FozzieBear

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure of any way to display a separate full character list for predicted text for a language.

Once the language is enabled in your settings you can invoke it by holding your finger on the globe icon to the left of the space bar until the language appears and swiping up on your virtual keyboard.

This should display all of the available characters for the language on the virtual keyboard.

If there are difference between how this works for the language input for Chinese I am not aware of it.

Cheers,

-FB

Please use plain text.
Contributor
aha_bb

Hi FozzieBear,

You are right about how Chinese keyboard is invoked. That's what I did. My question was about after the Chinese keyboard is invoked though. I guess I'd better post screen shots to explain myself better.

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
aha_bb

To explain this a little better, here are a few screenshots I took:

For example, I like to type Chinese character "剩", which is pronounced as "sheng", so I invoke Chinese keyboard and start typing s h e n g, and the screen looks like

So except the Chinese character suggested on the blank space key, I don't find any other suggestions... that's fine, I found a way to get more suggestions by swiping up on either Q or W key, which has a suggestion "sheng" on it in the last picture, then I got this:

As you can see, on the first row there are 5 Chinese characters suggested, but none of them is what I want. So currently I had to keep typing to make a common word that uses the character I want, like "sheng'xia", which you can see from the screenshot below that it would appear on the blank space bar.

If I type on the blank space bar, the word would appear in the edit box as below:

And then I had to remove the unwanted Chinese character to get what I initially want:

What I am saying is, at one point, I was able to stumble on a gesture or something that would pop out a window with all the Chinese characters associated with the pronunciation "sheng", so I can choose it directly. BUT, I can't trigger that screen anymore. If you happen to find the key combination or gesture and like to share it here, that would be much appreciated!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
aha_bb

[ Edited ]

Just want to report that I found the solution!

After input the PinYin, if you can't find the characters you are looking for, just swipe on the first row of the keyboard to the right, the pop up menu will appear.

Please use plain text.
roye_gw
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

I just got a Z10 yesterday. I just want to know is it impossible to get chinese handwriting with my Z10?!

Thank you 

Please use plain text.