Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Re: Radio FM in BB Q10

cybernury wrote:
I love BlackBerry's physical keyboard. That's the reason why I will have to wait as the Q10 has not been released yet. Both (Z10 and Q10) share OS 10 and I guess most of the features but I still keep my fingers crossed for the radio FM receiver to be one of the differences.

I'm sure the Q10 will be a great phone.  However, I'm a physical keyboard guy.  I've been using my Z10 keyboard now for a few days and, I must say, it's the best thing about the phone.  It really is amazing.  If I can be convinced....any physical keyboard addict can be.  The keyboard definitely meets the hype RIM put out about it. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cybernury
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Yoigo

Thanks Xandrex I hope you are wrong and out of all odds the Q10 comes with the antenna. Let's hope BlackBerry Team is still on time to take this demand under consideration to bring an extra appeal to the new model.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cybernury
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Yoigo

Thanks John. That's an extended opinion but I will still wait for the Q10 and then I will compare both to take my decision. If I'm not conviced by the Q10 and I decided to leave the physical keyboard aside in my decision I might just leave BlackBerry too.
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,845
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I know there are a large number of dedicated hard keyboard users out there, but I would heavily encourage you to try the full touch Z10... the keyboard is awesome. I've used the Storm and Torch virtual keyboards for three years, and this one honestly trumps those.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
keybord1
My Device: q10
My Carrier: orange

It would be really a shame, if this blackberry q10 isn't equipped with a fm radio, without Internet Streaming, at 1st I love to listen the radio on my mobile-phone during my work, at 2nd Mobile Internet is not available everywhere, 3rd it costs Data Transfer Volume, . . .

it should be self-evident, that every mobile phone ist equipped with a fm radio, for sure, if it is the top level, . . .

I still have a little bit hope, but really very very little, because they told us, that the q10 will be equipped similar like the z10, it's really difficult to be the number one, if you always "forget" things, wich should be really up to date . . .

thank you for blackberry, i wish you the best from the bottom of my heart . . .

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

As far as I know the FM radio is a feature that is more often seen on cheap phones than on smartphones...

the FM radio is not available on :
- the Apple iPhone (all models)
- the US version of the Samsung Galaxy SIII
- the Samsung Galaxy S4
- the BlackBerry Bold series
- the BlackBerry Torch series
- the BlackBerry Z10
- all Windows Phone models (not supported by the OS)

on the other hand, the FM radio is available on:
- most high end feature phones
- the European version of the Samsung Galaxy SIII
- the BlackBerry Curve series
- the HTC One

My personal feelings:
- I'd rather have an FM radio on my smartphone than a slim smartphone
- BlackBerry will offer FM radio for the upcoming budget family (= neither the Z10 or the Q10)
- the FM radio feature is not a killer feature, and the lack of FM radio does not make it more difficult to be #1
- BlackBerry does not currently aim at being #1 on a global scale

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
keybord1
My Device: q10
My Carrier: orange

It's really a pity, seems to be a very interesting item, the only reason, why I don't buy it, is because it hasn't a fm radio, . . .

I cannot understand that, why should a high end item be less equipped as an budget item? IT IS!!!!!! REALLY a DIFFERENCE if you've a fm radio or just an app for the internet,  IT IS REALLY A SHAME, I regret really, this lack;

I HOPE that blackberry will adjust the blackberry q10 in future, maybe the "people" in Canada don't understand, that Radio could be an important, sometimes very important thing, or they think, a radio is everywhere, they think everybody is sitting in the car . . .

O.K. thanks a lot for your attention, it ist really really a desaster, because the Q10 would be really my "wish" for the smartphone market, but if it isn't not possible to be equipped with this basics, it doesn't fit for me, i don't want to buy another item "just for radio", . . .

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,845
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

There are many radio streaming apps for the Q10 and Z10.

Try TuneIn Radio in AppWorld.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

keybord1 wrote:

I cannot understand that, why should a high end item be less equipped as an budget item? IT IS!!!!!! REALLY a DIFFERENCE if you've a fm radio or just an app for the internet,  IT IS REALLY A SHAME, I regret really, this lack;

people at BlackBerry do not do things without reasons. They have reasons, even if you and I do not agree with it.

Here are the facts:

an FM antenna allows you to access FM broadcasts with a low quality

an FM antenna allows you to access FM broadcasts available where you are, especially local radios, or even your own FM emitter (if you want to broadcast music across a big house)

an FM app allows you to access FM broadcast with a higher quality

am FM app allows you to access FM broadcast that have the infrastructure to stream through the Internet

an FM app will use your Internet access

my opinion is that the marketing people at BlackBerry have considered that the FM users population can be divided in three parts:

• people who can afford a high-end BlackBerry phone, and will want FM with a high audio quality, and can affort a big data plan -> they will buy a Z10 or a Q10
  • people who cannot affort a high-end BlackBerry phone, but do want to be able to listen to FM radio -> they will buy a Q5
  • people who want to listen to local FM radios, and can afford a Q10 -> BlackBerry considers they will go for either of the three phones.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
i_love_bb
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Telus

Would like to receive AM as well. I'm tired of using my data plan to listen to radio in general regardless of am or FM. They have to figure this out. The radio comes in handy in emergencies. It's free otherwise, why can't it be free on the bb?

Please use plain text.