Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
simonsays42
My Device: non-backberry user
My Carrier: O2
Accepted Solution

Smartphone with sophisticated turn-by-turn navigation

[ Edited ]

Hello,

BB is considered a true business smartphone and that's exactlly what our compony is looking for. Since our employees need a sophisticated turn-by-turn navigation software such as TomTom or Navigon on a daily basis we're somehow dissapointed that these apps have not yet been ported to BB10 (correct me if I am wrong). Is there anychance that this will happen some point in the near future? It's a top requirement for us that a 'business smartphone' has to meet in order to be considered as a real alternative to currently used apple and android phones.

regards

Simon

P.S.: Blackberry Maps is by any means no true turn-by-turn navigation software (as far as I can tell).

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
rat-7
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Smartphone with sophisticated turn-by-turn navigation

simonsays42 wrote:

Hello,

BB is considered a true business smartphone and that's exactlly what our compony is looking for. Since our employees need a sophisticated turn-by-turn navigation software such as TomTom or Navigon on a daily basis we're somehow dissapointed that these apps have not yet been ported to BB10 (correct me if I am wrong). Is there anychance that this will happen some point in the near future? It's a top requirement for us that a 'business smartphone' has to meet in order to be considered as a real alternative to currently used apple and android phones.

regards

Simon

P.S.: Blackberry Maps is by any means no true turn-by-turn navigation software (as far as I can tell).

Check out Magellan Compass, it is for the PlayBook and Z10, it is very good 

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
simonsays42

Hi Martin,

thank you very much for your suggestion however looking at magellan compass I just see no big difference to Google Maps, Blackberry Maps, and many other 2D-top-view-based navigation apps/sites. For professional usage these just doesn't do the job.. atelast for us. We need true 3D view with lane guidance, traffic updates, voice commands, POI and all these more-or-less standard features that current navigation software comes up with.

rgds
Simon

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
rat-7
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

simonsays42 wrote:

Hi Martin,

thank you very much for your suggestion however looking at magellan compass I just see no big difference to Google Maps, Blackberry Maps, and many other 2D-top-view-based navigation apps/sites. For professional usage these just doesn't do the job.. atelast for us. We need true 3D view with lane guidance, traffic updates, voice commands, POI and all these more-or-less standard features that current navigation software comes up with.

rgds
Simon

I do not know about the lane guidance (in fact never heard of it before ), but Magellan Compass does have the traffic, voice, POI, and you can choose from a lot of map provider like mapquest, openmaps, google maps, bing maps, etc.., and many layer of information including the weather (in the USA only )

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
simonsays42

[ Edited ]

Hi Martin,

thank you for pointing that out. However the MAIN features we need for navigating are 3D-VIEW and LANE GUIDANCE. In europe the top-view is just pointless (you'll miss most exits)...

3D-View and lane guidance:

Please use plain text.
Developer
Teaboy1748
My Device: Q10/ Z10 / 9900 / PlayBook / 9700 / 8900
My Carrier: ATT

[ Edited ]

Blackberry Navigator

The BlackBerry Navigator app features are:

Navigation & Traffic

Real-time turn-by-turn spoken directions to destination
Automatic re-routing if a turn is missed.
Preview route steps and upcoming turns.
Trip summary and overview map with entire trip highlighted.
3D map view simulates what the user should expect to see ahead.
Spoken directions include both maneuvers and actual street name pronunciations so that users can focus on the road and not the screen for a safer driving experience.

should be coming soon.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,825
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I've used several on device apps over the years for turn by turn GPS navigation and in the past month using BlackBerry Maps on the Z10, it's as good and better than apps I've used on the BlackBerry from others, including the Garmin app and TeleNav (and I've always preferred TeleNav -- but BB Maps is just better now).

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
simonsays42

[ Edited ]
Blackberry Navigator

The BlackBerry Navigator app features are:

Navigation & Traffic

Real-time turn-by-turn spoken directions to destination
Automatic re-routing if a turn is missed.
Preview route steps and upcoming turns.
Trip summary and overview map with entire trip highlighted.
3D map view simulates what the user should expect to see ahead.
Spoken directions include both maneuvers and actual street name pronunciations so that users can focus on the road and not the screen for a safer driving experience.

should be coming soon.
How to get better Blackberry z10 Battery Life
http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2013/03/blackberry-z10-battery-tips/

Well this sounds promising to me I just hope it turns out to be a reliable and sophistcated piece of software.

Thank you very much!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Barries01
My Device: smartphone curve 9720
My Carrier: Cell C

I bought a garmin nuvi 2495 and also 3D Live Traffic (Europe and South Africa) (Garmin Smartphone Link).

Now garmin states 3d Traffic only works on Android and I Phone. plase assist to install 3D Live Traffic on my Blackberry 9720

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Barries01
My Device: smartphone curve 9720
My Carrier: Cell C

Tried to get the Navigation & Traffic

Real-time turn-by-turn spoken directions to destination for BB but could not find it. Please advice if available yet

Thanks

Please use plain text.