Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
scottdeagan
My Device: Z10 • Z30 • PlayBook
My Carrier: 3 Network UK

The BB10 browser stinks

[ Edited ]

I know I'm not going to get much love for posting my opinion about this, but as a Z10 owner and budding developer (and someone who is seriously considering the Z30), I'd like to see a native browser written for the BB10 platform.

I have touched on this subject in another post some time ago, but this time I'm only focusing on the browser (the settings menu has, I believe, been re-written in Cascades in BB OS 10.2).

I understand Blackberry proudly touts how HTML5 compliant the browser is, and that's all well and good, but for every day usage, it feels terrible (for a lot of the Internet). There's a lot of janking and lag, sometimes scroll swipes are completely ignored, and it just feels.... "mediocre".

Considering browsing is one of the primary core functions of any modern day smartphone, I feel perplexed that Blackberry took the decision not to go native with the browser (I'm assuming it's not native, it certainly doesn't feel native - there's a real disconnect in the HCI area).

Just one example: load the desktop version of theverge.com, then scroll around (in both portrait and landscape mode). Yes, I understand that loading the mobile versions of websites results in better performance, but if you have to always use mobile versions of websites, you're restricting how your user base can consume the Internet (and proving that the browser isn't very "capable").

The only thing deterring me from pre-ordering the Z30 at the moment is the browser in BB10. I'm just calling it as it is - my humble opinion is that the browser fails to deliver a top notch end-user experience. Disagree with me by all means, but I will be posting a YouTube comparison video very soon (comparing the iPhone 5S, Nexus 4 and Z10 browsing experience).

"The Guardian" application is a fine example of awesome end-user experience, and what can be achieved when you go native. Why can't the BB10 browser be the same?

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: Orange

Re: The BB10 browser stinks

I'm not going to agree or disagree as each browser has its strength and weaknesses, however it is a native app.

Perhaps they would have been better off not going native and going for chrome for instance.

However it's sufficient for my needs.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
scottdeagan
My Device: Z10 • Z30 • PlayBook
My Carrier: 3 Network UK

BBSJdev wrote:

...however it is a native app.

I agree that it's "sufficient", I just wish it was "mind blowingly awesome". Of the 3 handsets I own, I find myself reaching for the Z10 the least, primarily because of the lacklustre browser (the user experience is far from "first class").

Are you sure the browser is a native app? From everything I've read, it appears to be written using "web technologies":

"A browser created using web technologies is another great example of what HTML5 can do on today’s smartphones." (from: here).

"One of the key features of the browser is that is an HTML5 application." (from: here).

"...entirely built in web technologies..." (from: here).

I also vaguely recall watching a discussion from the BB10 browser development team on YouTube, but can no longer locate this link.

Would you care to point to an article that claims the BB10 browser is a native application?

My point still stands. You're simply not going to achieve native performance using web technologies, and end-users are going to notice the inferior user experience. Most will find it difficult pin-pointing or articulating exactly why it doesn't meet user expectations - "something doesn't feel right", "scrolling is laggy/stuttery", "gestures are slow to repond" etc.

"Near enough" simply isn't "good enough" when it comes to user experience, and considering Blackberry's position in the market and current predicament, creating a first class smartphone means including a first class browsing experience. Web technologies are simply not at the stage where they can deliver this experience for a core application like the browser.

"Go native, or go home" should be the mantra for Blackberry's dev teams and product managers. What's the point of building such an awesome platform based on QNX/C++/Qt/Cascades and then sullying it with core apps written in web technologies? Once again, I refer to "The Guardian" application - awesome! That's how responsive and smooth all BB10 apps should operate.

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: Orange

You might be right, I recently took the bar file apart to check on something so was probably fooled by it's similarity to a native app structure.

I seem to recall that BlackBerry outsourced most of the apps anyway, this may be one of those.

I also don't browse a lot on the phone unless it is the only device with me I usually reach for the tablet but that's more to do with just physical screen size.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

I won't pretend to know as much about browsers as you do but I went to the full version of theverge.com on my Z10 and I was quite impressed with my experience; the scrolling was smooth and links opened quite nicely. As a disclaimer I will say that I've used BlackBerry phones for the past few years and I have nothing to compare the Z10 to other than different BlackBerry models but it's the best of any of my previous models.

Cheers. :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.