Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
astrauss
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

V10 - use WiFi for email when available

Hi, on my old iphone I could set up two SMTP addresses - one was for my cell phone provider and the other was for the webmail that I use. That way the phone used a WiFi connection when it was available reducing my cell phone data usage. That option does not seem to be available on the V10 so when I send an email while connected to WiFi it doesn't go until I disable the WiFi connection. Is there a more user friendly way to deal with this?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,841
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: V10 - use WiFi for email when available

[ Edited ]

Z10?

astrauss wrote:

so when I send an email while connected to WiFi it doesn't go until I disable the WiFi connection.

Can you clarify, you only want the one email account to transmit when WiFi is connected?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
astrauss

Yes it is the only one that is Web based.
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,841
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I don't know how that is possible... other than to create only DRAFT emails, don't send them and send them yourself when you reach WiFi.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
liams_dad
My Device: BB Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Same issue here, as long as you are on the cellular data emails are fine, switch to wifi and forget about it... no emails come in or go out.

Everything else works... BBM TXT SMS, but not hotmail email. 

Doesnt make any sense.

I've searched and searched and no one has the answer...  Rogers Tech-perts had to refund my money as they couldn't figure it out.

Z10 flaw I guess....  Blackbery support better fix it fast.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Skegg
My Device: z10

After reading your issue, I try to replicate it on my Z10. I am with Rogers, running OS 10.1.0.273.

I turned on wifi and connected to my home wifi. I turned off Mobile Network completly.

No wireless network signal bar on the top right corner of the screen. Only wifi signal indicator, and the BlackBerry icon.

First test - Hotmail to Gmail.

It took a while to send, may be 1 minute. It then took another 3 minutes to receive.

Second test -  Gmail to Hotmail

It was sent instantly and received a few seconds after

Third test - work email to both hotmail and gmail

It took a while to send, just like the first test above. After it went through, both gmail and hotmail receive it almost at the same time a few seconds after.

SMS - a red icon showed beside the message indicating the message was not sent.

BBM - sent a bbm message to a friend in Phoenix from Toronto. It took may be 5 seconds? to have the 'D' showed up.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
liams_dad
My Device: BB Z10

actually found my solution...

OS 10.1.0.1720 release 10.1.0.273

I  had to re-register the device once attached to the new Wifi connection.

Steps

Systems Settings, About , change the category to network, options (in the bottom right) re-register.

I hope  this doesnt have to happen everytime I jump on a new wifi.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Skegg

liams_dad wrote:

actually found my solution...

OS 10.1.0.1720 release 10.1.0.273

I  had to re-register the device once attached to the new Wifi connection.

Steps

Systems Settings, About , change the category to network, options (in the bottom right) re-register.

I hope  this doesnt have to happen everytime I jump on a new wifi.

Hi Liams_dad,

I'm glad to hear you found a solution. Please do keep us update on if you need to do it every time with new wifi. Thank you. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
astrauss

I guess the point is that you shouldn't have to turn things off and on (or register), it should just happen. I re-checked my settings on the old iphone. My work email is Exchange and I can send and receive from that no problem whether Wi-Fi is on or off. I have Telus mail (my internet provider and my default mail account) and gmail and I cannot send a message from my Telus account to either my work account or gmail when Wi-Fi is on (I get a clock icon). When I turn Wi-Fi off, the messages go. I have Fido as my carrier which means that I use the Rogers network (just pay less for it).

My Telus mail is set up as IMAP not POP mail so that I don't get issues between the account on my BB and the account on my computer. On the iphone I was able to set up two SMTP outgoing servers for the Telus account: one uses gprs.fido.ca and uses the phone network, and the other uses smtp.telus.net. When I have no Wi-Fi the phone uses the Fido outgoing but when I am on Wi-Fi it uses the Telus outgoing. It just does this on its own and I don't have to turn anything on and off. Both are fast. I barely used any of the MBs on my data plan (I had the minimum one I could get) when I used the iphone. Now I am consuming a lot of the data amount and may have to up my plan. It doesn't look like the BB uses Wi-Fi for things like my apps either.

I don't believe that BB should be in the business of maximising carrier revenue - it should use Wi-Fi for everything if there is a Wi-Fi connection on. This is what the iphone does. I don't know if it is a proprietary Apple technology, but there should be some way that BB does this as well. I still have the iphone (an old version 3) because everything including the mail works just fine when I connect to Wi-Fi in airports or on the ferry or at home - I don't need a carrier plan for it.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Skegg

astrauss wrote:

I guess the point is that you shouldn't have to turn things off and on (or register), it should just happen. I re-checked my settings on the old iphone. My work email is Exchange and I can send and receive from that no problem whether Wi-Fi is on or off. I have Telus mail (my internet provider and my default mail account) and gmail and I cannot send a message from my Telus account to either my work account or gmail when Wi-Fi is on (I get a clock icon). When I turn Wi-Fi off, the messages go. I have Fido as my carrier which means that I use the Rogers network (just pay less for it).

My Telus mail is set up as IMAP not POP mail so that I don't get issues between the account on my BB and the account on my computer. On the iphone I was able to set up two SMTP outgoing servers for the Telus account: one uses gprs.fido.ca and uses the phone network, and the other uses smtp.telus.net. When I have no Wi-Fi the phone uses the Fido outgoing but when I am on Wi-Fi it uses the Telus outgoing. It just does this on its own and I don't have to turn anything on and off. Both are fast. I barely used any of the MBs on my data plan (I had the minimum one I could get) when I used the iphone. Now I am consuming a lot of the data amount and may have to up my plan. It doesn't look like the BB uses Wi-Fi for things like my apps either.

I don't believe that BB should be in the business of maximising carrier revenue - it should use Wi-Fi for everything if there is a Wi-Fi connection on. This is what the iphone does. I don't know if it is a proprietary Apple technology, but there should be some way that BB does this as well. I still have the iphone (an old version 3) because everything including the mail works just fine when I connect to Wi-Fi in airports or on the ferry or at home - I don't need a carrier plan for it.

Hi astrauss,

Why do you need to set up 2 smtp servers? You just need to use smtp.telus.net for your Telus email on your BlackBerry 10. Smtp server connection is email account dependent and not connection dependent. My carrier is Rogers and I have never set up a Rogers smtp server for my phone to send email using the mobile network. 

Please use plain text.