Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
cyrilca
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: What DAC is used in Z10? How does Z10 sounds like as a music player?

I second that. On a long-haul flight/time in airports, I entertain myself by listening to my favorite music. I use Bose QC15 headphones, and rip my CDs at no-quality-loss rate. In combination with iPhone (that has Wolfson DACs, almost identical to DACs in my amp at home) it produces a decent sount to relax.

So when it comes to spending $700 on a new phone, quality of sound would have priority over over features. Given that a phone is a no substitute for a laptop and I carry laptop anyway on most trips, I would sacrifice some business features in favour of sound quality.

So if I choose not to buy new BB, it is not for not having info on  DAC used, but for (potential) inability to provide me a functionality important for me. Still have couple weeks before my current contract expires.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

my ears are not perfect but from when listeing to it with my trucks stereo (best I got now) it is just as good if not better than my 9860 is

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
zaba76
My Device: Z10, PlayBook 64 OS2.1
My Carrier: O2 UK

[ Edited ]

BrianFMartin wrote:

To be honest, I don't think the user that buys the z10 would be interested in how "loud" or "clear" the music is.

Unfortunately, this is EXACTLY the kind of thing for the potential apple and Samsung customers are interested in and the sort of new customers blackberry needs to attract to survive.

Anyway, as far as I know no one has done a z10 teardown yet. So, I'll give you my two pence worth:

The playbook is a very good media player. It uses a wolfson WM899E DAC. Well implemented. I use mine with sennheiser HD450 headphones. I also use mine through a pioneer reference amp over blue tooth via a QED uplay. It sounds very good as standard.

If you use it with an app such as neutron mp then you'll really be in for a treat!

Today I have been comparing the z10 & playbook with the QED and the headphones and to be honest there really is not anything between them of significance. Haven't been able to test the z10 with neutron yet as it's not quite in bb10 app world yet.

There has been a lot of debate about the merits of apple, Samsung, blackberry hardware and for a summary I'd send you here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-f222/playbook-has-great-hardware-716377/

I would suggest that blackberry have used another wolfson DAC.

I would also say that there is so more to this phone that makes it stand out than just sound. The keypad is amazing. Having a fully populated contacts list without even importing a single number was quite frankly scary and astounding... every day I find a new reason to love this phone more. 

@mcphersont: you and many play book users will be disappointed to learn that the blackberry 7digital store cannot be linked to your existing 7digital account. I find this ridiculous and have had words with 7digital who say:

"Thanks for your email.

7digital provides the content for the BlackBerry World Music Store, we do not handle billing and all accounts created via the BlackBerry Z10 are external. There are currently no plans to merge the two services.

For further support regarding BlackBerry World, please visit - http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/50447/ and select 'No' where it asks 'Did this help you?'.

We apologise that we cannot be of more assistance currently, and for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards,
7digital Customer Services"

@cyrilca: blackberry like wolfson! phone is free unlocked in UK with 24month contract. I think you will be very happy with either the blackberry PlayBook or the z10 once you figure out it is quite different from other phones out there. If not  the most carriers allow you 7-14 days grace to exchange products that you are extremely unsatisfied with. Which I don't think you would be.

So, to summarise both the playbook and the blackberry z10 sound great and have enough oomph to power decent headphones. With in ear headphones you would NOT really want to pass the z10 volume limiter. To get the best out of the hardware you may want the neutron mp app. PlayBook has wolfson DAC and z10 sounds very similar.

Hope this helps you all. Love my audio kit too. Use my playbook to play media from my dlna nas via bluetooth through a reference amp and decent speakers.

Like if you like! Thanks 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'LIKE' me if it makes sense...

PS. The BlackBerry Z10 & PlayBook rock with the QED uPlay!
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

guys, the Z10 music player does not have any kind of equalizer.

That being said, when you have a powerful CPU you can live without a physical DAC. Decoding FLAC or MP3 or AC3 is not the hardest thing to do.

Since you do not have the information on the BlackBerry.com website, you may want to directly look into the snapdragon documentation at Qualcomm and see what DAC is used on their chip.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
mday924
My Device: None
My Carrier: Sprint

This is what I found from doing a bit of searching on Google.  According to this, it does have the wolfson DAC.  I'm not sure how reliable the info is, but I would not doubt it is being used as they've used it in the Playbook. 

http://www.scotsman.com/business/management/wolfson-cashes-in-as-shoppers-keep-taking-tablets-1-2773...

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
zaba76

Good find!

Either way the Z10 sounds very good whether played through in ear headphones, decent headphones or through a hifi.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cyrilca

Thank you everyone!

Found the final answer: there's no Wolfson...

Blackberry Z10 uses Qualcomm WCD9310 audiocodec.

Here's the link to teardown:

http://www.ubmtechinsights.com/inside-blackberry-z10/

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
zaba76

Good work. Interesting reading. So how good is that chip for what you want?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

I have the same question as zaba76. How does knowing that it is a WCD9310 change anything to the perception of the Z10 as a music player?

Is it great, is it disappointing, is it a deal breaker? Does it enable to forecast about future codecs like Dolby's AC3?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
cyrilca

Can't say. Placed an order for Z10 of February, 14. Still waiting.

A bit strange for a company that bets its comeback on a single product.

Really, strange: the product is launched on two markets only; I see ads "Get Z10" every day from each of the major carriers (I'm in Canada), yet apparently you can't just come in a store and get one.

Well, there are "die hard" blackberry users who (already) waited a year for a new model, probably another 2-3 weeks is nothing.

I will give bb a chance for another 2-3 days, and if still on a waiting list/backorder, will change my order to something in stock.

Please use plain text.