Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Forums Advisor III
drewread
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Why not a "Blackberry Technical Support" app?

A lot of people have suggested that Blackberry 10 needs a killer app to put it over the top, and a lot of people have mentioned that Blackberry's current support model of routing through the carriers has been very frustrating for them and that they would love a way to get into touch with Blackberry directly.

So why not combine these two suggestions and come up with one solution: The BB10 support app? Of course this would not help those that cannot power up or gain network connectivity with their Blackberrys, but a whole lot of people could use the resource for other issues.

I am quite impressed with the CrackBerry (CB10) app, and it would be a good model to start with, but, some features of the BBTS app could be:

• a news page for 'known issues' bulletins, so that people know that issues have moved into the support or development stream and internal KB, it would be even nicer if these became part of the public KB.
  • link directly to these "user to user" forums and allow Blackberry support staff to pull people with valid issues out of the "user to user" forum and into the Blackberry support system and issue them tickets, etc.
  • link into the Knowledge base so that it is leveraged on your handheld and easily searchable, of course some realtime updating of that online KB would be useful to make this work :smileywink:
  • submission of logfiles directly from the support app into whatever ticket has been opened for you
  • allow for remote screen sharing with a Blackberry technician, so that they can see the issue directly and talk the user through their problem.

All of this would put the ability for users that have a "running" device to get the support they need without needing to go into a store or spend hours on the phone. Maybe BB Link (if it ever gets cleaned up and starts working :smileywink: ) to leverage access into the support 'app' system as well so that those with dead devices can also get the support they need without needing to call in or go to a store.

Just an idea.. maybe some people will like it... maybe even somebody at Blackberry? :smileyhappy:

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,825
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Why not a "Blackberry Technical Support" app?

Great idea, and you're not the first to ask or propose it.

It's been discussed for a couple of years. Currently BlackBerry does not such an animal included in any of the support departments, and while even a mobile app to this forum has been proposed, that too is not in the immediate window.

Meanwhile, we have two darn good BBM Channels created related to these forums and the BTSC Knowledge Base.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread

I'm just interested to see how many people like the idea.. maybe if enough people like the idea Blackberry will take notice.

They really need a better system to allow people to get in touch with them, and this would be something would set them apart from their competition (in a good way, not the way that they currently are set apart as far as support goes.) :smileywink:

Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
Please use plain text.
JSanders

Yea, I don't disagree. But there would be budgets, departments, etc., and which team under which it would fall all in the discussion. Still, a good idea.

But as you know also, direct customer technical support is not BlackBerry's business model (hence the carrier contact support which is highlighted on every occasion). And, why this is a 'user to user' support forum. Users can get in touch with support directly through twitter.

I guess I am just tossing some realism in the mix.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread

We all know that Twitter is the most useless Avenue of support. If you both don't follow each other you can't DM and BlackBerry simply asks you to call your carrier and get escalated. Same as here.

I am suggesting that the current model does not work for people that spent over $500 on a premium device. They expect support, directly from the manufacturer.. just like any other high tech or expensive thing you would purchase. :smileywink:

Budgets, departments,and personelle are not my concern right now.. this is the idea stage. :smileywink:

Something needs to be done, as the old support model doesn't work in the current environment just the same as the dated old OS and company mentality didn't work. An app like this would give users a more direct approach to BlackBerry support while still keeping them at a 'distance' like they do now. Best of both worlds. :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
JSanders

Yep.

Have fun.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Such an app would see users bypassing the carriers completely for support, which would have the carriers up in arms. They make BIG money by supporting BlackBerry devices and they would not be happy with such an app. If they're no longer needed to support the phones, how long until they decide to not longer sell the phones. I'm surprised that BlackBerry can even get away with these forums.

Cheers. :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread

BillJ wrote:
Such an app would see users bypassing the carriers completely for support, which would have the carriers up in arms. They make BIG money by supporting BlackBerry devices and they would not be happy with such an app. If they're no longer needed to support the phones, how long until they decide to not longer sell the phones. I'm surprised that BlackBerry can even get away with these forums.

Cheers. :smileyhappy:

Please explain how the carriers make money by supporting the BlackBerry phones. I am interested in hearing how this all works. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Every time you call your carrier for support of your BlackBerry device, your carrier sends an invoice to BlackBerry for that call, as per their contract with BlackBerry. I'm not at liberty to divulge the amount invoiced but considering that some support calls last all of five minutes, it's a REALLY good business to be in.

I hope that answers your question. :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread

[ Edited ]

My thought (especially in our Oligopily ridden cellular industry here in Canada) is that the carriers are earning more than enough money to keep them happy off the backs of us users. I'd rather have access to quick timely support than keep those carriers happy earning even more than they already do....

Please use plain text.