Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
TheronU
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: MTN

Z10 Wi-Fi Connection

I have both my Laptop and my new Blackberry Z10 connected to my office Wi-Fi. Laptop works perfectly, but Blackberry keeps giving me a notification "Wi-Fi Connection Limited", "To fully access the inetrnet, connect to another network".

Please help? Is there a setting on this phone I am missing?

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Z10 Wi-Fi Connection

Hey TheronU,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question.

Are you able to connect to other Wi-Fi networks on the BlackBerry Z10?  It sounds like you're getting a 169.x. IP address from the router.  Is there a limit of devices that can be connected to your work Wi-Fi?

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
TheronU
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: MTN

Hi

I haven't tried connecting to any other WiFi networks, but yes I do get a 169.x. IP address from the router. There is only 1 other device on the network and we have previously had more connected, all working?

Thanks

T

Please use plain text.
LjN
LjN
My Device: z10
My Carrier: Rogers

I am having the same problem at home.  No problems at starbucks, but at home it connects and says Wi-Fi connection Limited.  To fully access the internet, connect to another network.  

I`ve spent hours with my internet provider and cell service provider and no resolve...HELP

Please use plain text.
Contributor
blairwooff
My Device: z10
My Carrier: sasktel

I am having the same issue. Maybe this is just a coincidence, bit it began after I updated the OS to version 10.0.9.348 via BlackBerry Link. Before this update I didn't have the problem but as I say, this may be a coincidence.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jonathan-dardon
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Try this: go into your wifi settings->
click on saved on the bottom bar ->
find the wifi signal router that's giving you 169 and tap it ->
switch auto obtain ip to off ->
for your ip address enter 192.168.1.xx (for xx try 65 or whatever number is close to the ip address on your computer, but that is not the same.) ->
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0 ->
Primary DNS: more often than not is 192.168.1.254, if not check it out on your laptop in the configuration of where you check for your laptops ip address ->
Secondary DNS: 75.153.176.1; if not see Primary DNS ->
Default Gateway: More often than not is 192.168.1.254 This has to match your routers ip address. That is this field needs to be filled with your routers ip address. This address is also your Primary DNS.

That's it, hit connect in the upper right corner and you should now be connected. If you lose connectivity, change the last two digits of your ip address and hit connect again.
Hope this works for you/ helps you.
Good luck!
Cheers.
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Look at my tips on wifi

Speed-up-BlackBerry-Wi-Fi-connections-a-knottyrope-tip

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
RobertP
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: T-Mobile CZ

Hi, thanks. I had the same problem and to assign manually the IP adress solved it. But why this problem apears generally? All other devices I have in my wifi get the IP adress automaticaly from my DHCP server correct. Is there a bug in the Blackberry OS 10?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jonathan-dardon
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Not sure why it gets a 169 ip which won't work... I have to give it a valid ip address manually, and just with my network because it works elsewhere fine...
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
bs342
My Device: Torch 9800 / PlayBook / Z10
My Carrier: O2 UK

jonathan-dardon wrote:
Try this: go into your wifi settings->
click on saved on the bottom bar ->
find the wifi signal router that's giving you 169 and tap it ->
switch auto obtain ip to off ->
for your ip address enter 192.168.1.xx (for xx try 65 or whatever number is close to the ip address on your computer, but that is not the same.) ->
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0 ->
Primary DNS: more often than not is 192.168.1.254, if not check it out on your laptop in the configuration of where you check for your laptops ip address ->
Secondary DNS: 75.153.176.1; if not see Primary DNS ->
Default Gateway: More often than not is 192.168.1.254 This has to match your routers ip address. That is this field needs to be filled with your routers ip address. This address is also your Primary DNS.

That's it, hit connect in the upper right corner and you should now be connected. If you lose connectivity, change the last two digits of your ip address and hit connect again.
Hope this works for you/ helps you.
Good luck!
Cheers.

Thank you. For the last 14 days I have been surrounded by people using their smartphones on a company network I previously had no issues with but recently had only been able to connect to this network with limited connectivity. Great post, great info, solved my connectivity problem in minutes. Again, thank you. 

:smileyhappy:

BlackBerry is for Life not just for Christmas
Please use plain text.