Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
ssurpren
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 and Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Z10 and Q10 - require Blackberry Enterprise Server?

Sadly, our company has decided to no longer utilize Blackberry Enterprise Server and is in the process of replacing everyone's Blackberry with smart phones available from Verizon.  I have heard that Z10 and Q10 will not require Blackberry Enterprise Server and can function like a "regular" smartphone . Does anyone know if this is true?  If so, the company would be willing to replace my current Blackberry Tour with a Q10 when it is released as I truly prefer the tactile keyboard. Thanks for your help.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Re: Z10 and Q10 - require Blackberry Enterprise Server?

Yes, it's true. The Z10 and Q10 use the same protocols that iPhone and Android use. If those devices will work then so will the Z10 and Q10.

As for the tactile keyboard, let me say this. I was also in the physical keyboard camp. I never thought I'd ever want an all touch screen keyboard. However, after using the Z10 for about a week I was convinced the touch keyboard was for me. I never had the same experience with the iphone or iPad but the Z10 keyboard is nothing short of amazing. I am now as fast, if not faster on the virtual keyboard, as I ever was on the regular BB keyboard. Food for thought.

JC
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ssurpren

Thanks for your response.  A lot of people have told me that after they switched from a blackberry to a touch keyboard, that they would never go back. I've had an iPad for years and have tried my wife's iPhone, but I have always liked the blackberry tactile keyboard better especially when you are just using your thumb. What makes the Z10 so much better?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

I have an iPad, as well, and have used the iPhone too. I have never been able to type on the iPhone keyboard very well. However, the Z10 keyboard with it's adaptive "learning" feature is amazing. The ipad nearly always incorrectly determines what I want to type and most often changes words from correct to incorrect.

The Z10, on the other hand, almost always guesses correctly what I want to type. I can type as fast as I can go, making a mistake (or several) in nearly every word and it corrects it to what I meant to type about 98% of the time. Lots of devices have this "learning" feature but none to the extent I've experienced on the Z10.

I have had a BlackBerry with a physical keyboard since the 7290 back in 2003 and 2004 when they came out. I thought I'd always be a physical keyboard person. I was given the Z10 at the launch event in NYC in January and figured if I didn't like it I'd give it to a family member and get the Q10. However, I have no desire to switch back to a physical keyboard any longer. I'm lost when I pick up my wife's Torch 9810. I feel much slower on the Torch.

That's been my honest experience with the Z10 keyboard. There has been much hype over the device with Story Maker, Time Shift Camera, Hub and other features. While they're all nice, they keyboard far exceeds they hype made about it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ssurpren

Thanks again.  I'll have to get a hold of a Z10 and try it.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
rat-7
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

I was like John before, I was telling every body that an onscreen keyboard was no good at all, ask Knottyrope, he and other were explaining to me how the new onscreen keyboard would be better and they got me to look it up online and as I was talking with them on BBM, I decided to give it a try, and if I did not like to just return it until the Q10 come out.

So on the first day here in Canada (2013/02/05), I was at the store to get one, and I can tell you, that ever since that day I can not even comprehend how I was able to use my Bold 9900, the keyboard on the Z10 is simply put amazing, in less than one hour it had already started to predict what I was about to write, and the more I use it the better at it it gets, and now 6 weeks later I barely type any complete words in either BBM or e-mails, most of it is all predicted words.

BTW I write in both French and English, I do not even need to tell it to change the language, it detects it on it own

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Please use plain text.
Contributor
KayceeP
My Device: bb bold 9780
My Carrier: telus

Wow!! I've always been a Physical Keyboard gal myself & have been patiently waiting for the Q10 to arrive in Kelowna BC Canada.

Everybody keeps tryin2 talk me out of getting the Q10 by first using the way the Z10 Predicts & then by saying a Full Size Screen is sooo much nicer than a half screen. Great Points to consider 4Sure but I've tried Touchscreens & I Don't like the way Words pop Up when typing. It's too confusing for me. It's just easier for me to type away & Not hav2 look at the screen to make sure the Correct Word was Predicted. Plus I'm not the quickest typer/texter & I'm also worried about my Thumbs Accidentally touching another key & me goin2 hav2 constantly make Corrections?!?
But... There is however 1 huge thing I Don't like about the Q10's keyboard. I Don't like the fact that it is not a Curved Keyboard. It is a very Boxy Square Keyboard! I Love the the Curvyness of a keyboard bcuz it just seems to make Thumb Navigation Easier!

Oh woe is me.... I sooo do Not know what2 do. Touchscreen or No Touchscreen??? And it's funny my decision isn't made easier due2 Everyone I know swearing by the Touchscreen & how they'll Never look back?! Hmmm....

Ok! Well I've been given a lot more to consider yet again.

Thank You everyone for all the posts on here. Once I've made my final Decision, I too will post my experience with my Pros & Cons, if there is any Cons.

Kaycee :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

I constantly hit the wrong keys. I often hit the b or n key instead of a space. It recognizes that I do that and changes the b or n to a space automatically. It really is amazing. The words popping up on the screen for flick up are not distracting at all. I usually don't even use them, though.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
KayceeP

Hi John, Thanks for your comment!

Hmmm! It sure does sound like BB-RIM has thought of everything :smileyhappy: with the Z10 being able to recognize that U meant a Space rather than a B or N!

Well, once the Q10 gets here, I will try both phones out...

Ohhh, I do have another concern/question... U know how on the previous BB's that sometimes we'd go to View something & we'd get the Msg "You Need the New Adobe Flash, do U want2 Download now" & we go2 Download the New adobe Flash, Only to see another Msg say "Adobe Flash is Not Available On Your Device"..... Is the Z10 Now Adobe Flash Compatible??

Thanks hey!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
KayceeP

John, if U look at your last sentence on your last March 18 comment where U talk about having an iPad. 2X U meant the word "the" and Both times it says "they"...

I looked thru your other comments & "the" is "the" but that last sentence where "the" should be "the" was turned into "they" :smileywink:

I just thought I'd mention that bcuz it looks like the Z10 made a boo boo :s.

I know I'm Not to expect perfection with the Z10's ability to Guess what I want2 type, but now this shows me that I'm goin2 hav2 Proof-Read/Edit Everything I type... And btw, U see how I use the #2 in some words (hav2, go2, goin2) rather than the word "to", will Z10 understand this???

Thanks again John!

Please use plain text.