If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
Fr3lncr
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Z10 battery drain while powered off

I did a search but couldn't see this being reported before (outside of one post about a flip case causing a power drain while the phone was off).

So, last night I did a power down on my Z10 (held the power button until it shutdown).  My phone was at 80% battery (give or take as we don't get percentage readout on the screen).

This morning, my phone wouldn't turn on.  I thought there was something wrong with the phone.  I plugged it in and no red light and it wouldn't let me turn it on.

I did a battery pull and sure enough it booted, but when it finally got active, the battery indicator was in red and showing empty.

So, what could be causing the phone to drain battery power when fully shut off?

I don't know if it is a hardware issue or software.  I can return it and get a new one no questions asked but thought I would flag it in case others notice the same thing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current phones: Z10, Z30, Nexus 5
BB-past: 9000>9700>9800>9780>9810>9900 (the best BB to date)>Q5
Non BB-past: HTC s720, Galaxy S2, Nexus 4, Galaxy S5
Tablets: Dell Venue 8 Pro, PlayBooks (32GB+64GB)
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Z10 battery drain while powered off

Hey Fr3lncr,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question.

When you charged the battery again, did the battery drain rapidly?  Also what version of software are you running on the BlackBerry Z10?  Go to Settings>About

It is hard to tell as the battery should not be draining when it is powered off, did you install any new applications lately?  

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Fr3lncr
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Hello,

I charged the battery again and no, it did not drain rapidly. 

I had not installed any new applications recently either.  The only thing I was using that day was the CBC Radio app.

My OS version is 10.0.9.348 (Software Release).  Model is STL100-3.

I wonder if maybe the battery didn't drain while it was off, but that the battery was actually near dead before turning it off but it had given a false 'near' full reading'.  (I only say this as I'm getting a lot of false readings with another phone I have so I know it can be a glitch).

Anyhow.  Right now it is a one off.  If it happens again, or someone else reports it then I guess it could be looked into more. 

Thanks for following up.

Cheers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current phones: Z10, Z30, Nexus 5
BB-past: 9000>9700>9800>9780>9810>9900 (the best BB to date)>Q5
Non BB-past: HTC s720, Galaxy S2, Nexus 4, Galaxy S5
Tablets: Dell Venue 8 Pro, PlayBooks (32GB+64GB)
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Hey Fr3lncr,

Thanks for info.  If it does happen again please let me know.

Have a good weekend!

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
newfie36
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Hi,

I am also experiencing the same issue. I bought my phone from Wind Mobile 2 weeks ago and i initially though I had a batter problem has the battery was lasting no more than 4 hours in standby mode. I returned the battery and got a new one and the problem continued. Last night I had my battery fully charged and I turned the phone off to test if it would die even with the phone off. Sure enough when I wake up this morning and turn my phone off the batter is dead.

Therefore it must be a software problem with the phone. Sucks that I have a new phone for 2 weeks and havent been able to use it and now I will have to return it to get a new one and hopefully with no return issues.

Do you have a solution to fix this?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
nbz
New Contributor
nbz
My Carrier: Telus

Similar issue. My phone shut off with about 50% battery left (had checked with BX Battery Info maybe 20 min prior) and It wouldn't turn back on with out a battery pull. I still had a charge though, but I checked it one more time before going to sleep so I may have caught it early. I'll check for drain while off tonight.

I've had the phone for about 2 weeks and this is the first time it's done that. But I usually put it on charge at about 50% anyway, it just happened that I didn't last night.

Please use plain text.
kcuk220
My Device: z10
My Carrier: one2free

I have similar issue. i put a nearly fully charged bb z10 in my pocket and the battery almost die after2 hours and the body of the phone get very warm. any solution?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
newfie36
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

I had to return my phone to wind mobile and get a new one. They took it back no problem and new phone works great.

Good luck.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jfuentes82
My Device: BB Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Having the same problem!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Akana
My Device: bb z 10
My Carrier: telkomsel

Dear Vicious,

Same problem here, When I bought Z10, I  do not directly put the simcard so I just play around without cellular connection about 3 days. Surprisingly, the battery drain rapidly although it is switch off.

The only thing I did it is only transfer my data from torch to z10 no download app what so ever.

Is it possible if I got the false product?

OMG....

Please use plain text.