Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

BlackBerry Protect and BlackBerry 7

I think its great that BlackBerry Protect has been so tightly integrated with BB7 and that it now ships preinstalled on most phones. But I know of one apparent example where it didn't ship preinstalled, plu I've noticed its possible to not install it when upgrading your OS. When this happens, the only option to install it is to use the Desktop Software or loader.exe file.

Are there any plans to make BlackBerry Protect available for download on its own for BB7 devices? Or is it not available on AppWorld because the tight integration makes it more difficult to install as a basic add-on?

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Retired
adawar
My Device: Z10

Re: BlackBerry Protect and BlackBerry 7

Hi Krypto,

Because we are preloading it, we had no plans to put it into App World. Can you expand on the one example where it didn't ship preloaded?

Thanks,

Annu

Annu Dawar | Director Software Product Management
BlackBerry
Elite I
Krypto

It was a fellow member who who mentioned he was unable to find it when he went looking for it.

Not exactly sure about the situation.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Retired
adawar

The thing about BlackBerry Protect is that the icon will not be shown if the user has enabled Content Protection or if they have previously sync'd to a BES (in both cases Protect can't offer any value to the user so we hide it). That might explain why the fellow member was unable to find the application. It would be good to confirm some how.

Is it preloaded as a core application in OS7 so I have no doubt it was there.

Annu

BlackBerry
Elite I
Krypto

I'll ask him about it. I know he's not on BES, but I don't know if he had content protection enabled.

But thanks for the info as that will help if we stumble across anyone else who can't "find" BB Protect on their phones.

Contributor
TheNoseybonk

I have just upgraded to the Torch 9860. The BlackBerry Protect icon says it is not available for my phone?? It is currently shown in the unistalled section of MyWorld

Elite I
Krypto

That's because it should be preinstalled on your phone. The version on App World is only for OS 6 and older devices.

Are you having problems accessing it on your device? If so, ensure the conditions outlined by Annu above don't pertain to your situation.

Also, as a heads up, the new icon for BB Protect is a yellow shield, not the black one from the older devices.

Retired
adawar

Thanks again Krypto.

TheNoseyBank: I bet if you do a search from your homescreen and type in "protect" you will find the app there!

Annu

BlackBerry
Contributor
TheNoseybonk

Hi - its def not there but I've got a horrible feeling I deleted it by mistake!! I had the known issue with setting up my email account after I'd done the device switch. Looks like I deleted the OS7 Protect and left the OS6 version!!  Help!!

Contributor
TheNoseybonk

Its ok - managed to download it again.. its up and running now.. thanks..