Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
iyekski
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Globe
Accepted Solution

Internet tethering

Hi - Im using BB9900. I often use it for internet tethering and when I connect my device to my PC and use it as a modem, It shows 3G BB on the signal strength. However, sometimes, when I use it as a modem and connect it to my pc It shows only 3G on signal strength and no BB logo, during this time, i have a fast connection. When the logo is 3G BB on signal strength it is ultra slow.

What is the best setting on my device whenever I use it as a modem?

TIA. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Product Manager (Retired)
adawar
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Internet tethering

So this one is a little bit complicated.

The BlackBerry 9900 radio modem is capable of acheiving 14.4MBPS download speeds, but you know how things work... realising maximum speeds in real world conditions is hard. It will depend on signal strength, what data the device is passing, network congestion, blah, blah.

If you want to increase the chances of getting the fastest tethering speeds possible, you can try to disable BlackBerry services during the tethering session. Meaning you will not get BlackBerry email, BES traffic , or any BlackBerry related data while tethered though! Go into Manage Connections, click on Networks and Connections, then click on Mobile Network > and turn Data Services off. Then try tethering. You will have to remember to turn Data back on afterwards.

What this does is make sure your phone will only pass internet tethering traffic and reduce the impact on the network. Instead of asking it to do two things at the same time.

I have never experienced what you describe below, but I'm on a different carrier and likely have a completely different environment.

Annu

Annu Dawar | Director Software Product Management
BlackBerry
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
iyekski
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Globe

Re: Internet tethering

Thanks so much.. I will try to contact my provider/carrier as well to further investigate the scenario.
Please use plain text.