Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Forums Advisor III
er2joe
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S II SkyRocket (yes, Android)

Memory usage (even before leaks)

One thing I found very dissapointing was the available memory upon startup. I have an OS6 device (9700) that has ~50MB memory free when first started. It has 256MB total, for an OS overhead of about 200MB.

I played with a 9900, which has 768MB memory, and it only had ~250MB memory free when it first started. This gives a memory overhead of >500MB. Why the doubling in size of the OS?

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Memory usage (even before leaks)

9810 is supposed to have 768 RAM but BES reports it as 513, kinda misleading.

In app management, application storage Mine shows 335 used and 208 free, again misleading

but in app management, memory you see 451 used and 316 free. great but.......

in device, storage it shows 208 meg free

BES reports it with 209 meg free in BlackBerry manager.

So which one is correct when looking at memory? why is there a difference between them all?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Retired
adawar
My Device: Z10

Hi er2joe,

There was a lot of changes under the hood in OS7 to support the new hardware platform. Liquid Graphics is the most user facing benefit, but in general all the new functionality meant more code which means less available space out of the box. This is an area we are placing significant effort on improving in the future BBX platform.

Thanks,

Annu

Annu Dawar | Director Software Product Management
BlackBerry
Retired
adawar
My Device: Z10

knottyrope, hi again!

I'm actually discussing with the teams a better way to report on available memory in the Options screen. I didn't realise the BES screens could also use some investigation. I will take it back to the team.

Thanks,

Annu

Annu Dawar | Director Software Product Management
BlackBerry