Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Memory usage in BlackBerry 7

Hi Annu and thanks for popping by for this event!

This has to do with what many people often call a memory leak, but which likely has a more technical name.

I've found that since getting my Torch 9860, my device has a problem with memory management.  After performing a battery pull, my  available app memory will start around 208MB or so and will happily sit there for much of the day, but it inevitiby hits a point where it starts to drop, and when it drops, it can be quite drastic.  For example, last night it dropped over 25MB in one hour after having been perfectly fine for 10 hours.  I am good about closing out of apps when I'm no longer using them, and I've tried to see if the problem is due to a specific, but so far I have been unsuccesful in finding the cause.  Reloading the OS or trying different OS versions has not helped, and even attempting to load a new JVM via the /nojvm command has not had an effect on this issue.  Thus far, when looking into the app management  section, only the browser is identified as a potential culprit, but its not always enough to fully explain the drop.

I know I'm not the only person experiencing this issue on the new BB7 devices and you can find threads on the various forums (e.g. CrackBerry).  Can you help explain why this happens and what else can be done to help? The big concern is that I often notice that it does impact device performance eventually, and as a result, daily battery pulls have become required.  If you were not aware of this, please feel free to let us know what we can do to help your team find the root cause.

Thanks in advance for any info you're able to enlighten us with!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,930
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Memory usage in BlackBerry 7

Krypto wrote:

I know I'm not the only person experiencing this issue on the new BB7 devices

If you were not aware of this, please feel free to let us know what we can do to help your team find the root cause.

I see this very same issue after every reboot.

On my 9850 (v.7.0.0.374) I start out after reboot with approximately ~180MB file free. I use MeterBerry to monitor my memory usage and battery.

For the first several hours (8-9 hours) I will stay constant within 2-3MB of my starting free memory, it might drop or gain 1MB and regain it within the hour. However, soon after 10 hours or so, it will drop 25-30MB and continue to drop over the next 10-12 hours until only 35-45MB file free remains, which then requires a manual reboot to refresh the memory. The device gets quite sluggish at any level below about 50MB file free.

As Krypto stated, I am good about closing and exiting applications after using them, be it the browser, maps, or whatever third party application. I am fanatic about closing apps.

Even with this new 9850, I can't more than 30 hours before a reboot, and I am sure that is not the intended 'working as designed' for this OS7 device.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Hey Annu,

Just checking to make sure you've seen this post. If you don't have a response for us, that's fair enough, and if you'd like to follow up with us, just let us know.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Product Manager (Retired)
adawar
My Device: Z10

Hi guys, 

I did miss this thread yesterday, but someone pointed it out to me early this morning. Sorry for the delay in posting back. I have been trying to do some digging. Unfortunately, I cannot provide much information around this issue immediately. It sounds like a few different things are going on so I’ve passed feedback to the team and may have more questions for you. Thanks to both of you for being so detailed in your posts, it helps the team here.

Annu

Annu Dawar | Director Software Product Management
BlackBerry
Please use plain text.