Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus
Accepted Solution

Mobile WiFi Hotspot capabilities?

Hi again Annu, got another one for you! Smiley Happy

I remember when I was at WES last year, we were told that mobile hotspot functionality would be introduced into BB6 smartphones, but that never materialized, then I could have sworn we were told the same for BB7, yet that functionality is still missing.

Given that this is already a feature for many Android phones, it sounded like a great thing for BB users to be able to share their data plans with other devices over wifi.

What are you able to tell us about this functionality? Is it something that we may still see and simply requires a software upgrade (assuming of course that your carrier will allow it)? Or has RIM had to remove this functionality?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Regular Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 / PlayBook
My Carrier: Orange UK

Re: Mobile WiFi Hotspot capabilities?

On the back of this, the spec sheets that are available for the 9810 / 60 here in the UK state under wifi that they have "Mobile Hotspot Support" whereas the 9900 lists no such thing.  Is this likely to be device specific, and if so, which devices will support it?

Al.

Highlighted
Retired
My Device: Z10

Hi Krypto:

We have been working on Mobile Hotspot and I think if you are a little bit more patient you will be pleasantly surprised.

Cheers,

Annu

Annu Dawar | Director Software Product Management
BlackBerry
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

That's excellent news! Thanks Annu!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Solutions: 6,169
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

adawar wrote:

We have been working on Mobile Hotspot and I think if you are a little bit more patient you will be pleasantly surprised.

Excellent!

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code