Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

Non carrier-based updates

Is this a feature that Blackberry will be implementing in the near future? 

It has been very discouraging to have to wait on my carrier to finally get around to releasing a software update. Also i'm sure i am not the only one who is with a certain carrier that only cares about getting the phone out, but makes little effort on keeping with updates.

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Non carrier-based updates

Hey Kicker,

RIM works very closely with our carrier partners to support their initiatives and we value their added services. We want to make sure that our goals align with their goals and in the case of software updates, carriers ask for time to test, trial and approve software releases to make sure they are happy with the end product. It means that they will be proud to sell and service BlackBerry.

Annu

Annu Dawar | Director Software Product Management
BlackBerry
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Non carrier-based updates

Carrier goals make it look like issues are not being fixed.

mant wated for months before knowing this info.

What factors affected the release of this Security Advisory?

A sufficient number of wireless service providers must make a security software update for BlackBerry smartphones publicly available to customers before RIM will publish full details of the software update in a Security Advisory. RIM delivered the software updates to its wireless service provider partners. Where a wireless service provider may not have then provided the software updates to all customers, this policy is intended to protect those customers from increased risk of exploitation.

Within two weeks of learning of the vulnerabilities that this Security Advisory addresses RIM tested and delivered fixed software to our wireless service provider partners for their Technical Acceptance process. During the Technical Acceptance process, RIM monitored update availability for nine affected devices available through nearly 500 carriers globally until an availability level was achieved that allowed us to be confident that disclosure of the security vulnerabilities addressed by the software update would protect the interests of the majority of our customers.

RIM continues to work with our partners to expedite the process of software update delivery to BlackBerry smartphone customers.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V