Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Solutions: 6,259
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

OS7 transitioning from AutoText to Word Substitution

Good morning, Annu, and welcome to the Support Forums!

I am loving using OS7 on my 9850; it's simply a much smoother operating system.

My question:

Past OSs included "AutoText", which seems in OS7 to have been transported to "Word Substitution" in our Options > Device settings.

With that move, many users (myself for one) are having problems when upgrading to an OS7 devices with our OS5/6 device AutoText not restoring to OS7 devices either when we upgrade or backup/restore. I've lost 200+ AutoText entries. I have found a workaround by going back to my previous OS5 9550 backup, and manually restoring AutoText to my 9850, and it restores to the "Word Substution" database.

Though, if I now create a new Word Substitution entry in OS7, it is not backed up with the Desktop Software backup, and during any OS7 upgrade or restore, any new entries are lost again and not restored, and I must go back to the old 9550 OS5 backup to restore the earlier entries (and lose my newly created Word Substitution entries).

1. Annu, can you explain the intent behind making this change from AutoText to Word Substitution?
  2. And, can you help us folks out with getting it fixed to play nicely during OS upgrade restores?

If you need more detail, I'd gladly provide.

Thanks!

>> Get your 15% Discount on ShopBlackBerry on Passport • Classic • Leap

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: OS7 transitioning from AutoText to Word Substitution

Hi JSaunders,

In OS7 we made an architectural change to Autotext to address deficiencies in the implementation in previous OS versions. We renamed the databases as part of this change.

The main issue was that a previous backup would save all Autotext content (including prebuilt and user defined entries) uniformly which made upgrade of prebuilt entries error prone. This was source of numerous customer complaints and we had to make hard decision and redesign it.

The logic of backup/restore (to OS 7.0 from previous versions) remained unchanged for the majority of users who did minor changes in Autotext. Unfortunately, it looks like for power users (like yourself) there may be some entries being rejected in the automatic move from Autotext entries over to Word Substitution.

Manual backup/restore with Desktop Manager improves chances of conscious decisions in respect to Autotext upgrade that minimizes odds that garbage will be carried over to new OS version.

All this being said, our development teams are looking at this and will work to address in a future OS update. Thanks for highlighting this to me here!

Annu

Annu Dawar | Director Software Product Management
BlackBerry
Solutions: 6,259
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Thank you.

A suggestion on this... add it to the data backed up by BlackBerry Protect. in most cases it is very small text-based database, and won't add much weight to Protect. Perhaps you could pass that along to the Protect development team Smiley Happy

>> Get your 15% Discount on ShopBlackBerry on Passport • Classic • Leap

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Highlighted
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

This auto text issue also affects BES users.

I am running BES 4.1.7 and no OS 6 or 7 users can back these up with desktop manager and BES wont save them either.

but if you activate an OS 5 device later on, the auto text is restored to device.

Not a major issue for most but us power users are affected.

I saw an app in App World that can backup the auto text but not sure if it works with a BES device or with OS 5 to OS 6 or OS 6 to OS 7.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V