Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier
Accepted Solution

What does OS 7 access on the MicroSD card?

When using a faulty Micro SD card, my device was unusable at many times. CPU spikes were happening alot but nothing was showing on what was wrong. Once the card failed on me and the device did not reconize it, I was able to see a big difference in battery life since it could not be accessed any more.

Is OS 7 using the Micro SD card in a new ways that can affect phone performance?

Is there a way to see if the Micro SD card is being acceessed to much by the OS?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Retired
adawar
My Device: Z10

Re: What does OS 7 access on the MicroSD card?

Hi knottyrope,

OS7 uses the Micro SD card for storage of user files and data (ie: camera pictures, music files, documents, legal/help files, and in some cases Over-the-air patch information if your carrier supports that). But presence of the MicroSD card is not necessary for OS7 to operate (we can even ship OS7 phones without a microSD card).

OS7 is not using the MicroSD for essential core operation. BUT some third party applications might need a Micro SD card to work.

I can't offer any insight into why your Micro SD card failed or why you experienced a change in battery performance after removing the card (it's not clear from your post if battery life got better or worse after removing the storage card).

The only way I can think of to see how the smartphone (core OS or third party apps) are using the Micro SD card is to manually look at the files on the card and do some detective work that way.

Sorry to hear about the Micro SD card failured! I have been using the same 16GB card for a few years now ... I should really back it up! Thanks for the reminder.

Annu

Annu Dawar | Director Software Product Management
BlackBerry
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

adawar wrote:

(it's not clear from your post if battery life got better or worse after removing the storage card).

It improved a lot after it was removed. Maybe the apps using it for storage were trying over and over again to write to it.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Retired
adawar
My Device: Z10

Ah. If battery life improved, my guess is that the underlying OS driver likely was trying to access the faulty hardware and maybe was eating up battery. Clearly just a guess, but when there is a hardware failure in the system, there is no way to know for sure what's going to happen.

Everything returned to normal when you put in a new, valid Micro SD card?

Annu

Annu Dawar | Director Software Product Management
BlackBerry
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

adawar wrote:

Ah. If battery life improved, my guess is that the underlying OS driver likely was trying to access the faulty hardware and maybe was eating up battery. Clearly just a guess, but when there is a hardware failure in the system, there is no way to know for sure what's going to happen.

Everything returned to normal when you put in a new, valid Micro SD card?

Annu

my second card did same thing after a few days, but since using my 2 year old 16 gig it has not happened yet.