Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® 9720

New Contributor
dmlaty
My Device: 9720
Accepted Solution

Can't make or recieve calls on new 9720

Hi all I have just taken delivery of my new 9720. Bought it on ebay as an unwanted upgrade. The phone is on orange, I have inserted my sim connected to my wireless network, checked fixed dialling is no on etc etc but cannot make or recieve calls. I'm new to the blackberry phone so am I missing something? Thanks in advance Dave
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Can't make or recieve calls on new 9720

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Sadly, I fear the information we need is contained within the "etc etc" bit of your post, but I shall make a guess anyway. BBs are originally manufactured as locked for use only on their original carrier. To use them on a different carrier, you must unlock the MEP by obtaining the proper code sequence to enter into the device. Refer:

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
dmlaty

Hi
Thank you for the reply.
I bought the phone off eBay advertised as on orange. My sim is on orange, It seems this phone was not an original orange phone!
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

That is completely possible...and further only possible for you to verify. You would need to check the VendorID code within the device firmware and compare that to the table of valid VendorID codes...this will tell you for which carrier that device was originally manufactured. Here is one method:

I'm sure there are other sites out there with additional instructions if that one does not happen to work in your case.

But, that may well remain irrelevant as long as your BB is MEP unlocked...but, since you did not respond at all on that point, I cannot guide you.

It also remains unknown to us which Orange carrier you are specifically referring to...there are several in the world. But, you also must ensure that your device model is even compatible with your specific carrier...e.g., you cannot use a CDMA-only device on a GSM carrier, the two radio technologies are just not compatible. But, again, since you've not revealed your specific Orange carrier, I cannot guide you further on that point either. But the final say on if a specific device is allowed on a carrier network is the carrier themselves...if they say no, then no one can override that.

Your last resort will be the eBay seller...if they represented a device as being of some specific compatibility, unlocked status, or some other data point that was inaccurate, then they (the eBay seller) are responsible for that mistake. Your recourse would be through the eBay Resolution Center.

But, again, I am having to guess on a great many data points here...so I really do not know which direction to guide you. If you can answer the questions (is the device MEP unlocked or not, what is the VendoID, which Orange carrier are you attempting to use, what does your carrier say about if they will allow the device on their network, etc. etc. etc.), then I could perhaps guide you better.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
dmlaty

Thankyou very much for your help and guidance. I have returned the phone to the seller for a full refund. I have ordered another phone direct from orange so this should present no probs..... Hopefully
Thanks again for the help
Dave
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are welcome.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates