Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Accessories

Developer
LarryMcJ
My Device: Tour

Re: BlackBerry® Visor Mount Speakerphone VM-605 Review

Is this available on the retail market anywhere (BestBuy, etc.) I'd like to purchase it in person in case there's something wrong with it.
Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

It is apparently going to retail stores sometime this month, so I'd suggest checking in store and on their (e.g. BestBuy) website.  I know that a Future Shop buyer in Canada was hoping to get them in sometime this month, and since Future Shop is owned by Best Buy here in Canada, I think it's safe to say it'll also be coming sooner rather than later, even in the US.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Developer
LarryMcJ

@Krypto:

Many thanks!  I'd rather wait than order it online, just in case something is wrong with it. 

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

No problem, and I understand your desire to go in store - I'm the same for most things, or at least if I do purchase it online, I still like to have a physical store I can take it back to if something is wrong.

Now then, I just checked the Future Shop stock and they don't seem to have it yet.  I'm crossing my fingers for you that it still does come this month!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
RCNA
My Device: Not Specified

I picked up my device from my telus store in downtown Vancouver. I believe most Telus stores can order them in too.
Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

Cool, thanks RCNA!  So that would mean, check your carrier - you might be able to get it from a Verizon or AT&T store already!  (Assuming you're in the US, otherwise, try your local Telus store!).

RCNA, nice to see a fellow Vancouverite on here!

Please use plain text.
Developer
LarryMcJ

I'm in a large metropolitan area but none of the AT&T or VZW stores here have it yet.  I'll keep checking.  Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
RCNA
My Device: Not Specified

See if they can order one for you.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dfmalh
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Vodacom SA

Hi, I have a Bold 9700 and I am very intrested to buy and use a VM-605 speakerphone.

I have some questions that I can't find answers for (internet and/or sales persons) and would like someone with some personal experience to clarify them for my. I thought this review section might be the best place to post my questions...

1.   My first question is regarding the statment: "The FM transmitter turns off automatically after 1 minute if you are not listening to an audio file or a call through your vehicle's stereo system." Does that mean that when a call comes in after 1 minute the call goes through the speaker? or does it reconnect to the car stereo system?
  2.   After I paired my phone with VM-605 through the car streo system, and  saved the FM frequence onto my car's radio, can I listen to another station on a different frequency? Then, when a call comes in, can I just swich back to the pre-programed/saved station (frequence) and take the call through the car stereo system?
  3. Will VM-605 switch off automatically after I get out of the car to meet with a client?
  4. If I left my phone's bluetooth on, do I have to switch VM-605 on when I get back into the car after I met with a client? and
  5. Will the bluetooth pairing take place automaticly?
  6. How does VM-605 handel the phonebook? Is it synced with the device or is the caller just "pushed" through to the car/device sound system?
  7. I have a huge phone book, with over 600 clients, each client has multiple numbers. Will the VM-605 be able to distinguish between the numbers and still call out the client's name?

Thank you for helping me.

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

1.  If the FM transmitter turns off automatically after 1 minute, then the call will be heard through the speakerphone rather than the car's stereo system (unless you turn the FM on again).  The reason for this is to save battery life on the speakerphone.

2.  You can do this, however, if you don't intend to play music on your BlackBerry via the speakerphone/car stereo, it would be easiest just to use the speakerphone.  This is what I use all the time and audio quality is typically just fine.  The audio quality as a speakerphone is good for voice.

3.  Yes, as long as you are far enough away from your car to disconnect the bluetooth.  It typically is disabled if you are >30m (100') away.

4.  If you have walked away from your car and the speakerphone has disconnected from your phone and turned off, then you will need to manually turn the speakerphone back on.  This requires pressing and holding the main button for ~2 seconds and that's all.

5.  You must pair your BlackBerry to the speakerphone the first time you use it (just put it in pairing mode by pressing and holding the speakerphone main button until it says "Pairing mode", then set it up on your phone).  After that, you will want to check the box that asks you if you would like to connect automatically (during the first connection), and you will be set.  From that point forward, the speakerphone will always connect as soon as you turn it on, so long as your BlackBerry's Bluetooth is enabled.

6.  The VM-605 uses your BlackBerry to handle the phonebook.  In other words, it handles it exactly the same as it would if you were using the automatic voice dialing from the handheld, because it is using the automatic voice dialing from the handheld.  So, if you have John Smith's Mobile number entered in your phone book, you just need to press the speakerphone button to start the voice prompts, then say "Call John Smith Mobile" and your phone will call that number and route the call through the speakerphone. 

7.  Again, because the VM-605 is a speakerphone, it simply transmits the audio from your phone to the speaker, meaning that as long as you can call the numbers with the automatic voice dialing, you can use the speakerphone.  So let's say that John Smith has 4 numbers: Work, Home, Mobile 1 and Mobile 2 and you want to call his office (Work).  Then you just say "Call John Smith Work" and it will call the work number.  If you simply say "Call John Smith", then the speakerphone will ask you which number.  If it gets confused, it will ask you: "Did you say call John Smith Home?", to which your response would be no, then it will likely ask "Did you say call John Smith Work?" to which you would respond yes and the call would be connected.

I hope this helps, but feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

Please use plain text.