Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Accessories

Regular Contributor
woofhavenchuck
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

Car charger

Is there seriously not a car charger for the Playbook? The rapid charger uses a 12V interface, so you would think this would be a very basic accessory for RIM to make available.  Seriously, guys?

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Car charger

Hey woofhavenchuck,

The standard BlackBerry auto charger can be used to charge the BlackBerry PlayBook.  I personally charge it that way in my car.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Available almost anywhere: Blackerry PlayBook AC & Auto Power Kit.  Part HS-PKUNPB-BK. 

Seriously.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
woofhavenchuck

ok ViciousFerret (great handle, by the way), I can't get your solution to work with my PB. The standard car charger only produces 500 mA of power, which is not enough (the AC charger packed with the PB produces 1800 mA).

..and that causes me to wonder whether he Hip Street solution suggested by peter9477 is going to do any better. Sure looks identical to the 500 mA charger they make for the iPhone, only a different color. Does anyone know the specs on that unit? Anyone tried it?
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

It's underpowered to be sure. There's a label on it saying the output specs are 5.1V and 2100mA, but there's no way it's really able to output that much, unless my hybrid car was somehow restricting the output on the 12V socket.

I used Battery Guru to get some data from it, and when charging from 30% remaining, it managed only just above 1.1A.

In comparison, the rapid charger can manage 2.4A and the bundled wall charger can do 1.9A at that point. (None of them are current-limited by the charging controller down at 30%.)

It does mean it's about 3x as fast as charging from a PC USB port, however. Should take somewhere around 4-5h to charge, by my quick calculations.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
woofhavenchuck

That makes it a real, if not particularly rapid, charger. Let's hope RIM builds a rapid car charger some day or a DIY-type figures out the pinout on the rapid charger and makes one for running of the car battery. 'till then, it looks like this is what w ehave to work with. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

Another plus (aside from the fact it actually works) is that it includes a couple of cables, one of which I believe is for the phone and the other for the PB (and they're not interchangeable, apparently), as well as the 12V plug and a regular two-prong wall plug. That makes the package effective as a complete travel kit, if you don't want to bring along, or forgot, your regular wall charger.

If I recall the wall charger isn't particular effective either, but last time I tried it I think I had the wrong cable so it wasn't working at all. I don't have actual numbers for it as a result.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

Why worry about a car charger? I gave up buying car chargers. Every time I bought a new phone etc. I needed another, device specific car charger. Get an inverter and use the standard AC charger shipped with the device - free! I have a 75W unit form Canadian Tire and another (100W made by Duracell from XS Cargo) for our second car. They are small and work in any car.

One suggestion if you decide to go this route, buy one with a flexible neck. The ones with rigid neck could be cumbersome, or even impossible to use in some cars.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

One other thought. I think the jury is still out about "fast chargers". They may reduce the usefull life on the battery.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Hello godot2011,

Fast chargers do not reduce the useful life of the battery. At least not for Lithium batteries or Lithium/Ion batteries.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.