Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Accessories

Super Contributor
godot2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB

Re: Car charger

Hello Xandrex,

You may be right, otherwise why would the shape and form of the fastcharging plug for electric cars be an issue.

Still, I read about this concern somewhere about either in a Nissan Leaf or a Mitsubishi iMiev earlier. But then again fast charging is critical for EVs. At least until we can't find a better energy storage medium than the Lithium battery.

Thanks
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

@godot2011, put it this way: The rapid charger for the PlayBook actually chargers only slightly faster than the regular charger, when the PlayBook itself is not drawing lots of power.

If the PlayBook rapid charger were designed to go twice as fast as it is, it would probably have some significant impact on the battery life. As it is, the primary benefit of the rapid charger is that it lets you use the tablet at full load even while charging, without slowing it down. With the bundled charger, just about any use of the tablet will noticeably slow down the charging.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Rapid charger does charger faster when the battery is low. once it hits at about 75%, they both charge at the same rate.

I did some testing and posted results here

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Playbook-charging/td-p/1043051/highlight/...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Developer
peter9477

Yes, as I said, "rapid charger for the PlayBook actually chargers only slightly faster than the regular charger".  I agree it's faster, but it's not twice as fast unless you're using the tablet at the same time. 

For the record:

With the device in standby, the rapid-charging cradle provides about 9.5W from 0% up to about 45%. From there it trails off slowly till it's at 7.5W around 70%, then drops off more quickly as you really get into the upper, non-linear portion of the charging curve.

The regular wall charger provides 7.5W from 0% up to 70%, after which it looks the same as the rapid charger.

Charge time in the mostly linear region up to 60% is proportional to power, so during that time (which is less than half the total charge time) the rapid charger works about 27% faster than the regular wall charger.

The key, as I've noted, is that the wall charger is "maxed out" when charging this much, so basically any use of the tablet will eat into that 7.5W of power.  In contrast, the rapid charger has ample extra capacity, so it continues to provide 9.5W power even when you're actvely using the PlayBook. 

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Super Contributor
godot2011

Peter,

This is very good info. I know you folks have your hands full, but at some point in time this should be published and easily available to all users not just the nosy ones.

Thanks
Laszlo
Developer
peter9477

Laszlo, actually, almost everyone you see here posting this stuff is NOT employed by or associated with RIM, with the exception of those for whom it says "BlackBerry Advisor" or similar (where for me it says merely "Developer").

I'm just an independent PlayBook developer, and a user just like you. (The technical data I post here all comes from my own Battery Guru app, a link to which you'll see in my signature below.)

As for whether RIM should be publishing more details, I certainly wouldn't argue with that suggestion! (I do think they should continue to focus on finishing the first "real" version of the OS, however, as they're still missing a sizable number of fairly significant features and still have some serious bugs.)

Super Contributor
godot2011

Peter,
While RIM is filling in "the holes", why don't publish the info you wrote above as part of your app? Also it would be nice to have more info what your app does, the definition of Battery Help and what does the Allow Sleep/Keep Awake function do.

For what its worth, I am a retired product manager, used to develop telecom test sets, protocol analyzers, etc. Talking to my customers I learned that a little documentation goes a long way to please them.

Thanks for the info
Laszlo
Developer
peter9477

Thanks for the input Laszlo. I am slowly working on additional material to integrate into the app. In the meantime, the link to my web site in the top-swipe menu leads to a page with additional Battery Guru information that may be helpful. The description in the App World listing also does describe the Keep Awake feature reasonably thoroughly (given how limited it is... a limitation forced on us by the Tablet OS itself unfortunately).

Super Contributor
godot2011

Peter, a couple of notes. For us "windows guys" the info/help section tends to be on the top right side of the display not the left. Also once I found the link, I had a hard time, many touches/pushes to activate it. Finally I managed, rather it 'kicked in'. I guess this is an OS issue.

Overall a very nice, useful app, thank you!

Developer
peter9477

godot2011 wrote:
Also once I found the link, I had a hard time, many touches/pushes to activate it. Finally I managed, rather it 'kicked in'. I guess this is an OS issue.

I believe it must be, as I've never seen any inconsistency in it activating for my touches.  I welcome any such problem reports though, so I can perfect it.  :smileyhappy:  Thanks for the other feedback too!