Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Accessories

New Contributor
phone
My Device: Not Specified

Does BB 10 support email on wifi only mode ( without the need for data plan)?

I am looking for devices that can work on WiFi without the need for data plan.

I tested the Apple and the Android devices and found that they work nicely on WiFi only.

I prefer BB keyboard but need to know if BB10 will have the ability to work in WIFI only mode (including email and other applications).

Note :This will allow as to have all BB devices:  some with data plan and some on wifi +talk only  mode .

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: Does BB 10 support email on wifi only mode ( without the need for data plan)?

Yes, BB10 will work just like the other devices in that regard.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
tcucinotta
My Device: Curve 9360

Re: Does BB 10 support email on wifi only mode ( without the need for data plan)?

What about a Curve 9360 with BB 7.1 ?

I'm trying the LogicMail IMAP/POP e-mail client, and I don't have (anymore) a data plan.

I was expecting this and other apps to work over wifi, but actually I'm getting an intermittently working behavior. I have to reset the phone all the times (battery pull, or 3-buttons reset), then I get LogicMail and the BB AppWorld both working over wifi, along with other Internet apps. However, sometime later (not sure exactly when/why this happens), every Internet-related app stops working, except the BB own browser.

Is this a malfunctioning of the device ? Of the software ?

Is it a malfunctioning the fact that these apps work without a data plan for a few minutes, or is it a malfunctioning the fact that they stop working after a few minutes.

I'm getting seriously puzzled here. I can only see plenty of misinformation around. Just after resetting my phone, I can see AppWorld just working fine, despite what I've seen claimed in various forums about the fact that it requires a data plan -- I can browse AppWorld without a data plan and with the mobile network OFF (I'm upgrading an app right now under these conditions). In the same conditions I can access my IMAP e-mail account through the LogicMail free app. Why should a wifi-enabled smartphone not be able to use Internet without a data plan ? I can understand that a few BB apps may only work with a data plan. But for other apps, I'd expect them to work painlessly over wifi.

Is there anyway to discriminate apps that do require a BB data plan to work properly, from those that don't ?

Can anyone with detailed and technical knowledge shed some light on these issues ?

Is a full security wipe of the phone useful to fix these issues ?

Thanks in advance to whoever may help.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Logicmail should work perfectly fine without the BlackBerry data plan?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

tcucinotta wrote:

Is there anyway to discriminate apps that do require a BB data plan to work properly, from those that don't ?

usually asking the application developer gives you the information.

Accessing the internet can be done on BlackBerry7 :

• the implicit way: the app says "connect me to the internet", and then the OS chooses the best way (WiFi, cellular network, Enterprise network and so on)
  • the explicit way: the app says "connect me to the internet using connection XXX", with XXX usually the cellular network. This way seems a bit easier to code.

For example the Salesforce Chatter client cannot work without a BIS plan on BlackBerry 7.

That being said, I think that you can try this:

do your apps work better if the SIM card is removed?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: