Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Accessories

Visitor
emozo
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Headphone problem

[ Edited ]

I had this problem as well with Curve 8520. I managed to get rid of it, although not entirely sure how - I guess it was just fiddling around with the headphone jack - at one moment it just dissappeared. Anyway, I would love to see an official explanation from BB about this glitch.

UPDATE: The problem is back...

New Contributor
biggzjm
My Device: Not Specified

I still have the problem sometimes my headphones decide to work sometimes they dont I jus stop using them, and I guess Rim isnt goin to address the issue

New Contributor
MattBerry
My Device: 9000

volume level goes up and down during phone calls

I have this same problem on my BB Bold 9000.  Clicks on and off like a switch, sounds like a connection and disconnection of a phone plug.  Only happens during phone calls.  It is not just a nuisance . . . the phone cannot be used.  I can hear the other caller's voice and she can hear me, but the clicking is so bad we are mutually unintelligible.

For me the problem only happens when I DON'T have the phones plugged in.  That is, when I use the headphones the on and off switching goes away.  It started suddenly last week (end of Jan 2010).  Has anyone made any progress on this one?

Only thing I've tried is pulling the battery.  The problem did go away for about a week, but now it's back.

New Contributor
sultorn
My Device: javelin

Re: volume level goes up and down during phone calls

i have the same problem.

i've never used headphones but have used an auxiliary cable with my car/pandora.

anyone fix this?

New Contributor
sultorn
My Device: javelin

This just worked for me:  I repeatedly plugged the auxiliary cable in the phone and took it out.

It was immediately fine after doing that...

New Contributor
MattBerry

I "fixed" the problem by sticking the headphone plug in and out a couple times.  My longer term fix plan is to find an old set of headphones and cut off the wire so I have a little devise to reset the thing when it decides to fail again.  Maybe I can duct tape it to the bottom of my BB holster...it'll give me a sort of Mad Max kind of look  :manmad:

This is a somewhat less than satisfactory solution...but it's what I'm doing for now.

Contributor
peregrineay
My Device: Z10, Q10, Playbook, Curve 8900, Bold 9000

Happened to me. Curve 8900.

I was using the blackberry headset, and pulled it out. Then afterwards, when I made or received calls, the headset symbols and outgoing call arrows would alternate, and the phone would keep trying to switch to headset repeatedly even though it was unplugged.

I deduced that it was an electrical contact in the headset jack stuck in the wrong position.

So I eventually fixed the problem by pushing and pulling the headset in and out of the jack, in hopes of recalibrating the sensor/electrical contact inside.

I hope RIM will investigate and realize this is an legitimate issue, and then deal with it with the part supplier.
Arthur Yip
Jojowedge
My Device: Curve

I've started having the same problems as of a couple days ago and have done everything recommended with out much luck. There is definitely a relation between my headphone jack and the problem during phone calls but trying to recalibrate it by pushing a headphone plug in and out repeatedly has not solved the problem.

Contributor
peregrineay
My Device: Z10, Q10, Playbook, Curve 8900, Bold 9000

did some basic web searching... looks like this problem occurs with all models http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/phone-calls-keeps-switching-alternating-headphone-jack-earpiece-42... http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/starting-have-problems-w-9700-a-411950/ somebody even made a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL0s15KCLhw Keep posting everyone... RIM will be more inclined to do something if enough people show their concern.
New Contributor
MattBerry

Does anyone know how to get someone from RIM to put eyes on a particular problem?

Unlike other failures (like short bat life, bad receiver, OS crashes) this only shows up during a call (sometimes).  So if the user mostly does email, texts, maybe podcasts, etc., he or she won't know that the unit needs attention.  Then when it comes time to make a crucial (even emergency) call, it's too late.  And the intermittent nature adds to the problem (how do you know if it is fixed?).

Somewhere else there is a related thread "BB Storm Stuck in Headset Mode - A thorough search for a solution" (link below) about the units getting stuck in headphone mode (vs. oscillating, as here) which one user made a case for being entirely software related.  Of course that problem could be unrelated to this one. Also our problem could really be two problems: say a certain number of the units have phone jacks with some loose "contact" AND the software doesn't intelligently interpret the resulting signal from the phone plug. So if you get a new hardware jack (or jack design) OR if they write more robust software that can handle the glitch more, the problem can be fixed.  OR it could require both the hardware and software to be repaired.

Anyway, I wonder if our problem is another manifestation of the one I'm referencing below.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Storm-BlackBerry-9500/BB-Storm-Stuck-in-Headset-Mo...

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Storm-BlackBerry-9500/BB-Storm-Stuck-in-Headset-Mo...

The quality of the youtube video isn't the best, so if anyone can get a better version that could help.  (My problem continues to be in remission.)

--Matt