Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Accessories

My Device: 8310
My Carrier: ICE

Re: volume level goes up and down during phone calls

I have the same problem with the volume when I try to use the headphones.

Horrible.

Is there anyone have tryied to use another o new ones headphones?

Eduardo

Visitor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: O2

Re: Headphone problem

I have a 2 month old Bold 9700.  i see the exact problem described here:  never saw this problem in 2 months until I first used the headphones.  Then after i stopped using the headphones i could not make reasonable calls without headphones due to the rapid switching back and forth (top left corner symbol switches back and forth between arrows and headphones and speech on speakerphone or handset comes in jerky slices roughly coinciding with the symbole switch)  As soon as i put the headphones in everything works normally.  As soon as i take the headphones out, back to rapid switching back and forth.

Following advice here, I vigously inserted and withdrew the headphone jack approximately 10 times and the problem is resolved....BUT i want a definitive answer...hardware or software and if hardware, where do i get my replacement?  It is not acceptable to have to risk turning my phone into a brick everytime i use the headphones.

What's the scoop blackberry?

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi and welcome all to the forums!

I do not have an RIM answer as I am not an employee, but I do have a tip that might save

you some aggravation. I got a 8300 last July, the headphones lasted  about 1/2 day before I

couldn't stand them anymore.

Three (Verizon) sets later I finally got the answer. I would doubt that much quality control is invested in the manufacture of the headset and  especially tolerances regarding the connectors

I went to radio shack and tried about ten headsets, neither of the jacks was close in tolerance.

I finally found two pair that still work excellently. They have to be inserted and removed deliberately

true, but the connectors are setup to function with out damage. Just don't use the wire to remove them :smileyvery-happy:

I'm sure there are lots of people using the song docks etc.

If you look at the web, it's not generic to Blackberry or the Bold. My last two storms came with

"disposables" as well!:smileyvery-happy:

Thanks,

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Guru I
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2582; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

I experienced this same issue today with someone else's 9700 (fortunately not mine!) and was unsuccessful in resolving the issue. This is a show stopper for the device when it happens. Anyone ever come up with any solutions?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Forums Advisor II
My Device: 9550 Storm2/Verizon
My Carrier: Verizon

With the various instruments I have had over the years nearly all headset issues have been the result of debris of one sort or another entering the jack.  Some but by no means all manufacturers supply a dust plug to insert when not using the wired headset.  Carrying the instrument in a pocket, using it outdoors in windy dusty environments, etc., and you may have a bit of debris that is causing the connections between plug and jack to fail outright or intermittently.

I have usually had a degree of success with turning the device on its side so the jack is facing down and lightly tapping on the opposite side to dislodge any debris.  A careful spritz of canned air across the jack while it is upside down also helps.

When debris is not the issue, I have found that there is a direct relationship between cost of the headset and quality.  I have purchased wired headsets from $5.00 on up and considering that the low end sets still enable everyone in the chain to make a profit indicates the quality pretty well. 

I have taken the dust plug from my old LG Dare and use it on my Storm although I generally use Bluetooth. 

Наглый пес! Вы должны быть благодарны мы даем Вам возможность проживать в нашем мире!
BB 9550 Verizon OS 5.0.0.1015 My Storm My Blackberry My Lifeline
If there is a Theme on my Blackberry, Hedone it!
If someone successfully helped you with an issue, say thank you by clicking "kudos" in their post and clicking the star.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post that solved it for you!
Guru I
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2582; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

The device in question today is only two weeks old and has been kept in the holster it came with and using the headphones it came with. I have to wonder just by the number of postings I've seen with this issue on the 9700 if something else is to blame.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
My Device: Model 9700 BOLD
My Carrier: Airtel

Re: Headphone problem 9700 Bold

I think this is some kind of h/w s/w issue with the blackberry..  my 9700 BOLD came up with this headphone problem.. soon after I was using the headset that came with the phone in the box.. No problems for the last two months.. and suddenly it was there.. crazy,

Solved it by initiating a call and then rapidly inserting and removing the jack a number of times.. till the swtiching of the icon on the top left hand side stopped..... thereafter operation of the phone during calls is normal.... this is the most pathetic engineering fix to this problem !

Just to recheck I plugged in the jack and listened to a song... voila!,... the problem reappeared :smileymad:..had to repeat the above step to clear it.... now I do not want to use the headset..

Is some one at RIM listening to all these complaints ?... they must fix it asap.

ashok

Contributor
My Device: Z10, Q10, Playbook, Curve 8900, Bold 9000
My Carrier: AT&T, Simple Mobile, Rogers

General response to this thread: 1) problem not specific to 9700 bold, had the same problem with 8900 curve 2) most people including me have resolved the issue by repeatedly inserting and removing the headset plug into the jack, which indicates a malfunction of the jack (poor hardware quality), possible explanation being debris stuck in the jack - this makes sense as the repeated switching indicates the phone thinking there is a headset plugged in half the time Good luck and hope your problem is fixed with relative ease...
My Device: 8520 Curve

Ok, here's a partial solution.

To stop the headphone/speaker "click-click switching" error that renders phone useless:

1. Go to media player, enter any song, that is, go beyond the music selector all the way to the player.

2. Press options menu.

3. Select "Activate speaker" (my BB is in spanish, it says "Activar altavoz", so translation is mine and could be inaccurate) or "Activate device" or "Activate headset" ("Activar auriculares" in spanish).

This will stably select one output device and stop all automatic switching from one to other.

This procedure will definitely solve the problem BUT... automatic detection of headset is deactivated. Now if you plug the headset it WILL NOT be detected: you must repeat the operation to activate the desired output device.

If I can find how to activate automatic detection again, I'll post.

Hope this helps,

Gonzalo.

My Device: 8520 Curve

... continued from last post.

I didn't say, my BB is a 8520 Curve.

Gonzalo.