Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Accessories

Contributor
felix_87
My Device: Verizon Curve 8330 v5.0.0.438
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

Otterbox Defender case for Blackberry 8330

[ Edited ]

I just purchased an Otterbox Defender case for my BB 8330. I actually just received it in the mail today and so far it seems to be everything it promises. It has a clear "screen protector" that covers the screen and the entire keyboard, it has an opening in it for the trackball, and extends over the top to cover the back of the phone as well. Then it has a hard what they called a hard hi-impact polycarbonate shell, which to me was just very very strong hard plastic. And that part is in two halves. After you have smoothed all the air bubbles and alighned the screen protector correctly onto the phone, place it in the hard shell and snap the two halves together. This part was the only thing I had a problem with. The bottom part of it did not want to come together, then once I had it together the top part wouldnt stay together. Finally though after squeezing it together and taking it apart and squeezing together again and apart again over and over for about five minutes and the help of my fiance, we managed to get it to hold together. Then it has a silicone skin that stretches around the whole thing so even if one spot doesnt fit together just perfect, its not going to go anywhere I don't think. It also came with this nice clip holster that is made of the same stuff the shell is made out of. Put all together I don't think a bomb could hurt it. But I'm not going to intentionally drop my phone to find out either. Give it time and I'm sure it will happen on its own. Otterbox makes the defender series for several different types of blackberries, here's a link to the technical info sheet on some of them

Also this is the link to the Defender for the 8300 series on Otterbox's Website & you can see good p...

On shopblackberry's website & otterbox's website they run about $50, but I found mine brand new on ebay for $32 & free shipping. I hope this review has been helpful. I'm not very good at writing reviews, this is actually the first one I've written on anything but I hope it helps.

The only gripe I've got with it so far is the screen protector that stretches over the back of the phone as well, where it goes over the camera lense it makes your pictures and videos come out blurry. I think I might be taking my exacto knife and cutting a hole for the camera lense because that's driving me crazy. I hate blurry pictures.

Message Edited by felix_87 on 06-30-2009 08:37 AM
*~*Felix*~*
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: Otterbox Defender case for Blackberry 8330

thank you for the feedback.
once you use it, how does the whole thing feel ?
is it easy to type ? how is the access to lateral keys like volume & the convenient keys ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor
felix_87

Overall it feels a little chunky & heavy, but if it keeps my clumbsy self from destroying another phone I don't mind. The typing is fine for me, but I have long fingernails and I type with them so there's not really anything for the screen protector to stick to as it might if you were just using your fingers so Im not sure if that would make a difference. If it's in the holster clip you can still access the trackball and some of the keyboard but not all of it, but if you just wanted to access your music or other media you can do that without haveing to remove it from the holster clip. You can still access all the keys on the sides of the phone, the conveniency keys, volume keys & the mute/standby button on top. On the left side it even has a flap in the silicone case that covers the USB port & the headset jack to keep dust and dirt out. Overall I think I'm going to like it. I still haven't dropped it yet so I don't know how it will fair in that area. But when I do I will update the thread.
*~*Felix*~*
Contributor
felix_87

Also like to add that I found the case just now for sale on newegg for about $35 here.
*~*Felix*~*
Contributor
felix_87

Well like I said before, it would not be long before I got to test out the durability of the otterbox defender case. It had its first drop today. I had it in my coat pocket while I was in the van and I reached for something else in the same pocket and managed to knock it out. It hit the door handle, then the storage compartment on the side of the door, before finally landing in the floorboard of the van. Normally when this happens [and somehow I manage to pull this particular stunt a lot] I am freaking out now wondering what new scratches, dents, and dings will now be disfiguring my phone even though it is just a short drop. For some reason this drop manages to scratch my other phones all to pieces. But anyway, the otterbox survived, so did the phone. And as far as I can tell there are no scratches, dents or dings anywhere. So it passes for me.
*~*Felix*~*
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

next time can you do it by placing the device on the roof of the car, and make it drop on the road ?
(thanks for the feedback of course)

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Xandrex wrote:
next time can you do it by placing the device on the roof of the car, and make it drop on the road ?
(thanks for the feedback of course)

That's only fair, I dropped my Visor Mount on the street.

We need to keep the same testing standards!

:smileyvery-happy:

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Contributor
felix_87

Knocked it off the top of the van tonight onto the road as suggested, and it got dirty but again as far as I can tell no damage to either the case or the phone inside. Definitely a good investment as far as I can tell.
*~*Felix*~*
New Contributor
mog22
My Device: Not Specified

I have one of these Otterboxes on my BB World Phone - I am unusually hard on my stuff, and have dropped it several times - once while out running on a trail it popped out of the clip harness's box and bounced along the ground, and another time it hit the asphalt hard....so far, it has survived.  I listen to music on it (so I don't have to have mp3 player AND cell phone on my runs)....works wel, but I now hold it in my hand so it doesn't fly out going down hill.  If anyone knows of a good armband so i can go handsfree ! that would be great.
Contributor
felix_87

I had my BB in the holder clip on my hip the other day and had to run, I was outside and I could hear the phone ringing inside the house and was trying to get to it, well the BB flew out of the holster, and the holster itself flew off my pocket, and skidded down my paved driveway. Both survived just fine.
*~*Felix*~*