04-26-2011 02:25 PM
This is more of a question for anyone who is familiar with networking, routers and Wi-Fi...
Here is the problem that I am having...When I am at home and try to watch a YouTube video with the YouTube app the video plays for a little bit then stutters and pauses and buffers...I have a good connection with a strong Wi-Fi Connection at home...
When I took the Playbook to another Wi-Fi network in a totally separate location The YouTube videos run fine...they are quick to load and appear to play no problem...
So my question is...is their a setting in my router that needs to be adjusted to make sure the playbook gets good bandwidth on my home network
04-26-2011 04:21 PM - edited 04-26-2011 04:21 PM
What router and firmware version are you running?
I have an issue with my router at home, it is old and I expect it wasnt made for multi connections.
Bold 9000 (mp3 player and pandora only)
Curve 8520 (pandora only)
I can get a BBM and drop connections to most devices at home on my simple router that has latest update.
At the office we have a Netgear WVPN824 and dont experience this at all with over 30+ devices connected.
04-26-2011 04:42 PM - edited 04-26-2011 04:46 PM
It's not just about signal strength, but also about Wireless router speed (known formally as IEEE 802.11 B/G/N)
The Playbook runs a Wireless N connection, which (in theory) gives 108Mbps (in actuality, it won't be more than about 40, but this is due to the laws of physics). 40Mbps is more than adequate for streaming for most devices. I run a wireless N connection from my PC at home, and get about 20Mbps, which is easily fast enough.
If you home router is (for example) Wireless B, then max throughput you can get is 11Mbps, or in reality around 5Mbps, which isn't really fast enough to stream.
It's not the strength of the connection that matters, it's the speed (although signal strength will have an affect based on the laws of physics I mentioned before)
04-26-2011 05:07 PM
Thanks for all the replies....most appreciated...
I believe my router is a fairly recent (no more than 3 years old)....Linksys with Wireless N Wi-Fi ... My iPhone seems to work ok over WiFi ... but I will double check the router model and specs when I get home...
I should also add that general web browsing seems to work pretty good on my Playbook on my home Wi-Fi....
04-26-2011 05:18 PM
I have a Netgear WNR2000 (I think that's the correct model) at home and it gives my Playbook fits as well. Everywhere else I go the WiFi is fine. I found that when I changed from WPA2 to WPA at home, it got a bit better, but still not nearly as good as the general performance I get in public. The problem I experience is that the Playbook shows it's connected but when I attempt to browse or use an application that accesses the Internet, it will periodically act as if it can't get a connection out. On the PB I try pinging the router when it gets that way and it won't even hit it. None of the other wireless devices connected to that router (my laptops, etc) exhibit any issues with access during that time so I'm wondering what's throwing the PB off.
I've already made up my mind to just replace my Netgear at home with something a bit more modern, but it would be nice to know the root cause just in case I end up chasing my tail.
05-06-2011 01:32 PM
05-06-2011 04:31 PM
05-08-2011 01:14 AM
I have a Cisco E4200 and was having what looked to be the same issue. Frequently, whilst browsing (or anything else on the internet) it would seemingly stop talking to my router. Wifi connection shows up, IP address shows assigned - but it wont talk to the router. I even tried pinging the router, no luck. I am able to temporarily resolve the issue by toggling wifi off and then on. This will fix it for anything between a few seconds, to a few minutes - after which it will reoccur.
Anyway, I did some investigation today, and am cautiously optimistic. Here is what I did, in the hopes that it might help someone. Even if my seeming "fix" works, it is a hack, a workaround. RIM needs to FIX this. I never had any such problems on the 1710 load. This all started after upgrading to the 1868 OS load.
So I tested today on a different router (actually a Clearwire 4G dongle shared over a Cradlepoint router) and I had no problems with that. I went back to my normal home router and started investigating it. I noticed I had set a very narrow range (14 IPs - ie a 16 range subnet) for DHCP allocation. I had done this on purpose - just to make things a tiny bit more annoying for anyone who might hack in to my network. Anyway, I noticed that all my DHCP IPs were assigned. I guess I have more devices than I thought. The Playbook WAS assigned an IP, and I checked, and it was the IP it indeed had. However, just in case anything was getting screwed up somewhere with IP address congestion/conflict or something kooky, I changed the Playbook setting to a static IP. Famous last words, but so far it is now working fine.......
05-24-2011 09:45 PM