Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Accessories

MichTa73
My Device: Pearl 8100

Smart Card Reader 2 on Windows 8

[ Edited ]

I have a need to use a smart card to log into my work laptop.  Unfortunately, my laptop does not have a built-in smart card reader and I'd like to avoid using an external USB smart card reader if possible.  For this reason, I purchased a Blackberry Smart Card Reader 2, which from what I could find online, should be able to provide the same functionality as an external USB smart card reader.

I installed the software and rebooted the computer.  However, when I try and discover the Smart Card Reader (SCR) the laptop seems to see the SCR, but then the connection window closes and I never get the chance to enter the PIN.  Reviewing the eventlogs and system processes, I can see that BlackberrySCRService.exe process which is running as a service quits after the device is discovered.

I've tried running the Windows compatibility tool on the process which suggested running in XP compatibility mode, but that did not help.  Can somebody tell me how I can use my Blackberry SCR 2 on my Windows 8 laptop?  Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: Smart Card Reader 2 on Windows 8

hello, I don't have any knowledge about that reader.

You can find the manual here:
http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/subcategories/?userType=2&category=BlackBerry+Smart+Card+Reader

My personal understanding is that this reader is not compatible with Windows 7 and Windows 8, and only if that BlackBerry is linked to a BES server.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
steveurkel123
My Device: Q10 / 9900

Re: Smart Card Reader 2 on Windows 8

"....and only if that BlackBerry is linked to a BES server."

Definitly not. Devices from OS5 until OS7.1 (and maybe OS4and 7.2) can use this Reader without an BES Server.

This Devices:

- can send/receive S/Mime encrypted emails. (OS10 Devices only with BES, this is not clearly communicated from BBRY to potentially Customers)

- can use these S/Mime Certicate stored on a Smartcard

-  can use the Reader for 2-Factor authentification without! an Smartcard. The Reader must be next to the Phone when you want to unlock the Phone

- can use a PIN-protected Smartcard for 2-Factor authentication. (You have to enter 2 Pins on the Lockscreen)

Please use plain text.