Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Accessories

New Developer
jischoler
My Device: Playbook 16GB

bluetooth keyboard intermittent disconnecting

Hi,

So I recently purchased a bluetooth keyboard to use with my playbook 16gb. I am able to connect and pair the keyboard to the playbook just fine, but as I'm using it the playbook disconnects and reconnects to the keyboard every couple minutes, making the keyboard essentially useless. Typically when this happens, the keyboard becomes completely unresponsive, and then ten seconds later a notification appears in the top-left corner saying that the bluetooth keyboard is connected, re-allowing me to use it. This issue occurs whether I'm close or far from the playbook, sometimes it occurs when I'm not typing, sometimes it occurs in the middle of typing a word. I also paired the same keyboard to my desktop computer for 30 minutes and it never disconnected, leading me to think it is the playbook at fault here.

I found only one post about this so far in the forums, so I was wondering if this is just a bluetooth software problem, or if my playbook is defective?

Thanks for the help.

Contributor
DarrenKH
My Device: Bold 9700/ Playbook 32

Re: bluetooth keyboard intermittent disconnecting

I am finding exactly the same problem with the Hipstreet Playbook keyboard. Is that what you're using?

I talked to their technical support and got this reply:

The issue you're reporting is specific to the PlayBook.

We've received complaints of specific users experiencing the exact same issues.

Our PlayBook has been tested with over 10 different Keyboards and none lose the connection.

Please contact RIM and let them know of the issues you're experiencing.

We're currently in contact with them also to get this issue rectified.

So I don't know if they are suggesting that my Playbook has a particular problem (which theirs doesn't have). Maybe the problem is with the specific keyboard I have. 

Anyway, I am going to send this question to RIM support.

New Developer
jischoler
My Device: Playbook 16GB

No, I'm not using the Hipstreet keyboard, but I wonder if my problem is not too dissimilar. If your keyboard problem does get resolved, hopefully mine will as well. Let me know if RIM has any suggestions or details.

Thanks.

Visitor
Dave-mcLennan
My Device: Blackberry Playbook and Torch 9800

Hi same issue here bought my keyboard off e-bay

Dave
chadgeezee
My Device: Playbook

I use the Hip Street Keyboard. I have contacted both parties. No one seems to want to admit blame which leads me to believe that I chose the wrong notebook and the wrong keyboard company. Extremely frustrated!!!

Contributor
DarrenKH
My Device: Bold 9700/ Playbook 32

Hi, I posted earlier about the Hipstreet problem. I just tried out a Sony Tablet keyboard with my Playbook in the store. It connected very quickly and easily. The Sony keyboard worked well, then would cut off briefly - maybe 5 seconds - then would start again, without having to go under the settings and reset the bluetooth connection. This performs much better than the Hipstreet Keyboard, which cuts off for a minute or two, during which I am trying the settings to get it to reconnect. From this (and the other comments) I would conclude that there is at least some problem with the Playbook bluetooth connection, but a bigger problem with the Hipstreet.
TelecomDoctor
My Device: Playbook 32

Same issue here - but it's worse.  Just updated to OS 2.0 and not only tried to synch with a wireless bluetooth keyboard - intermittent, but also the Remote control with BB handset 9780 also cuts in and out.

Furthermore, when the Playbook is in the car with the Handsfreelink, the Playbook connects and disconnects repeatedly.

The Bluetooth is completely bonkers....

HELP!

New Contributor
Braeside1
My Device: Playbook OS2

I've been looking for a bluetooth keyboard and have come across Verbatim and Walmart. I just bought my OS2 Playbook, and so far from what I am reading, these external keyboards are a bust.  Is RIM possibly developing an external keyboard?

Is anyone having any luck with whatever brand of bluetooth keyboard??

Thanks, B.