Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Advertising Service

Developer
bbquincar
My Device: PlayBook, Z10, Dev C
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Ads Services eCPM -- um...ZERO?

ok with this being said if someone click on the BlackBerry fill in ads do we still get revenue for that. Im here in canada and i only see blackberry ads. In the UK they seem to see a bit more of a mix of dfferent ads as well as blackberry fill in ads.

BlackBerry 10 game reviews for the unknown, small and indie developers. Little games with big dreams. VeryBerryGames.com | Follow @VeryBerryGames | TwoCasualCoders.com | never casual on quality
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Right, house ads generate no revenue.

The ad providers that server ads will vary by many things, one major one is location, so folks in the UK will see ads provided by UK brands to keep them relevant.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Developer
bbquincar
My Device: PlayBook, Z10, Dev C

damm that really sucks.

Well id rather ppl see ads fake as they maybe.

But i hope BlackBerry is reallyt pusing to get ads to fill these request. I dont have a huge amount but im sure other dev are getting a crazy amount of impression and there all usless right now.

Thanks for all the help with getting the info atleast we now know.

BlackBerry 10 game reviews for the unknown, small and indie developers. Little games with big dreams. VeryBerryGames.com | Follow @VeryBerryGames | TwoCasualCoders.com | never casual on quality
Please use plain text.
gbeukeboom

That's definitely a big initiative. As time goes you should see fill rates change at varying rates depending on geography.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

I don't know exactly how all this stuff works, but I'm not surprised to see the advertisers lagging behind the customer base. That is, only as BlackBerry can show them evidence of a real user base to advertise *to* (with associated demographic data, I guess), will they be willing to pay for real ad placements.

Seems like the "pump isn't primed", and between App Generator apps and those of us actually putting ads in some of our apps, we will have to wait some time (days? weeks?) before we've created enough pressure to suck all those new ads out of those who will pay for them...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
StevenKader
My Device: Z10 LE

[ Edited ]

I don't think it is fair that the house ads are BlackBerry ads and not being paid to the developers.  The reason is they are getting a benefit of the click to something that helps them.  If there is a real ad returned and is displayed in the app and the next request is a house ad that is really bad be ause the user may have clicked on a paid ad and now will be clicking on a non-paying ad.  On other systems house ads are controlled and used by the app developer if they want other ads to show if there is no paid ad available.  It seems that Blackberry is getting development to write apps and then they get free advertising......they are paying development on android devices for those same ads so why not their own blackberry devs?

Steven Kader at JaredCo
   Follow me on Twitter    |     Mipixi.com :  Web App for Photo Sharing
Please use plain text.
New Developer
jbeach42
My Device: 9900 and PlayBook

Glad and sad to see this thread.  I'm glad that I'm not the only one with a net revenue of around $0 for thousands of ad impressions, but sad that this is the case and there aren't any third party ads showing up.

Fingers crossed that this ad service platform grows for BB10.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apps:Beats Brainwave Entrainment - Awesome Timer - StarSlide - Save Santa
@jamiebeach
Please use plain text.
gbeukeboom

Thanks for the feedback folks! I passed this right along to product and the decision was made to cease providing house ads when no fill was available. You should only see fill now from ads provided by advertising partners.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Garett, for us rookies who know little including what "fill" really means here, can you expand on that a bit?

Does this mean when no ads are available from partners, the space will be empty (presumably showing our placeholder image)? Or that the ad banner will never be without an ad in it, even if the partner doesn't pay for it? Or something else?

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
StevenKader
My Device: Z10 LE

Thanks Garrett,

Now if you can find a way to get the ad team to get access to AdMob you'll be a hero.  AdMob supports every smartphone including Windows 8 except BlackBerry.  Because they repackage Google Adwords text ads into mobile ads they have near 99% fill rates worldwide.   Google is really the only game in town interms of fill and $$$.  Just look at adsense where we can get 99% fill and $3.00 eCPM (on web).  Not sure why they have banned BlackBerry but anything you can do will be a big plus.

Steven Kader at JaredCo
   Follow me on Twitter    |     Mipixi.com :  Web App for Photo Sharing
Please use plain text.