Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Advertising Service

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Ads Services eCPM -- um...ZERO?

peter9477 wrote:
Garett, for us rookies who know little including what "fill" really means here, can you expand on that a bit?

Does this mean when no ads are available from partners, the space will be empty (presumably showing our placeholder image)? Or that the ad banner will never be without an ad in it, even if the partner doesn't pay for it? Or something else?

Here goes my mini lesson, when your Banner object is added to the screen it makes a request for an ad, if an ad is returned it is known as "fill". So the fill rate is calculated based on the # of ads filled vs the number of requests made. If no ad is available you can choose to display your placeholder or leave the space blank.

House ads were being run for a short time but have stopped now.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Contributor
My Device: Dev Alpha B
My Carrier: Rogers

Agreed. Using the blackberry ad service doesn't compare at all to the offerings on other platforms. The eCPMs and revenue generated make it essentially a non-viable revenue option.

*Like or mark as solution!*
Contributor
My Device: Dev Alpha B

* that was in reply to JaredCo...

*Like or mark as solution!*
Retired

JaredCo wrote:

Thanks Garrett,

Now if you can find a way to get the ad team to get access to AdMob you'll be a hero.  AdMob supports every smartphone including Windows 8 except BlackBerry.  Because they repackage Google Adwords text ads into mobile ads they have near 99% fill rates worldwide.   Google is really the only game in town interms of fill and $$$.  Just look at adsense where we can get 99% fill and $3.00 eCPM (on web).  Not sure why they have banned BlackBerry but anything you can do will be a big plus.

I can guarantee you we aren't sitting still with bolstering the service  Smiley Happy

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10, Dev C

Do we have to use BlackBerry sdk are can we chose to use another
BlackBerry 10 game reviews for the unknown, small and indie developers. Little games with big dreams. VeryBerryGames.com | Follow @VeryBerryGames | TwoCasualCoders.com | never casual on quality
Retired

bbquincar wrote:
Do we have to use BlackBerry sdk are can we chose to use another

You definitely have the option to choose to use other services.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE

gbeukeboom wrote:

JaredCo wrote:

Thanks Garrett,

Now if you can find a way to get the ad team to get access to AdMob you'll be a hero.  AdMob supports every smartphone including Windows 8 except BlackBerry.  Because they repackage Google Adwords text ads into mobile ads they have near 99% fill rates worldwide.   Google is really the only game in town interms of fill and $$$.  Just look at adsense where we can get 99% fill and $3.00 eCPM (on web).  Not sure why they have banned BlackBerry but anything you can do will be a big plus.

I can guarantee you we aren't sitting still with bolstering the service  Smiley Happy

I am sure you are trying your best.  Having tried every other service that supports BlackBerry, they all have the same problem.  The advertisers get to choose on each campaign which platforms they want to run the ads on....they usually choose iOS/Android and never BlackBerry.  That is why there is no inventory on most of the mediation platforms that you currently support and the other ones like them that you may get.  The only one that matters is Google/AdMob.  They actually used to support some of the mediation platforms as well but lately have pulled that support forcing publishers to stop working thru medators and use AdMob directly.   

What we really need is not adding AdMob to the BlackBerry service, which I don't think they will allow.

What we need is for BlackBerry to find any way (even if it means paying them) to get AdMob to support the BlackBerry platform.  I think you can get AdMob ads in Android apps on BlackBerry (not sure about this and not sure how they fill).

I understand that giving devs direct access to AdMob will reduce dependency on BlackBerry Ad Service and revenue for BlackBerry....but at this point there is no revenue (may never be) and many unhappy devs who develop or port apps to BlackBerry but can't get any $$ from ads.  If the goal is happy devs and more great apps on the platform then helping us get access ot the best ad platform in the world (google) should be a priority.   If the BlackBerry service ever gets better than that it won't be hard to get people on board....until then open as many doors as possible.

Steven Kader at JaredCo
   Follow me on Twitter    |     Mipixi.com :  Web App for Photo Sharing
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10, Dev C

But will it work ad easy with a simple code plug in like BlackBerry ads service
BlackBerry 10 game reviews for the unknown, small and indie developers. Little games with big dreams. VeryBerryGames.com | Follow @VeryBerryGames | TwoCasualCoders.com | never casual on quality
Retired

Likely not as easy, I'm not aware of any third-party SDKs for BlackBerry 10 yet, but many services provide *very* easy to implement HTML5 ad solutions which could be used in a Cascades WebView or a WebWorks app, you just want to make sure that any web links from the ad clicks are directed to the Browser rather than loading in the WebView itself.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE

bbquincar wrote:
But will it work ad easy with a simple code plug in like BlackBerry ads service

It would be just as easy if an SDK was built (which is fairly simple).  Google just needs to give permission to BlackBerry to let us sign up and run admob ads in BlackBerry apps.  If they did that don't worry about technical details.  I'd volunteer to write the SDK myself and give it away.

Steven Kader at JaredCo
   Follow me on Twitter    |     Mipixi.com :  Web App for Photo Sharing