Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Advertising Service

Highlighted
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

HomegrownAdNet: The community advertising sample

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

When I was at Jam Americas earlier this year I met with Brian Scheirer, author of such fine apps as "Visual Connection" and "Combo Pics", who showed me a neat ad banner he had created. The idea is simple, Brian is an app developer that knows other app developers, why not create small ad creatives to share between apps? App A advertises Apps B, C and D while App B advertises Apps A, C and D. The more friends you have the more apps you can advertise.

I saw some solid potential in this approach so created a very similar sample which I added to the BlackBerry Git Repo:

https://github.com/blackberry/Cascades-Community-Samples/tree/master/HomegrownAdNet

This sample allows you to advertise other apps available through BlackBerry World and I also added the ability to share web links (possibly to share referral links?).

How does it all work? Well my hope is that any developers that may find this interesting could post to this board a creative for their app and their app ID in BlackBerry World. Developers could then grab those creatives (basically images that advertise your app, set to 720x125 in the sample) and IDs and add them to their own apps. This is a closed ecosystem ad network, so the more other apps you promote and more users using this sample the better chance you have of getting promoted yourself.

Main caveat of this localized system:

1. There is no way to directly measure conversion (to know an advertisement led to the download of your app). You could however baseline downloads now and then see how much that jumps with this service in place.
  2. It is community based/driven. So be nice, share and be shared with

NOTE: This is not meant as an official replacement to the official Ad Service or even official in any way, it's merely meant as an alternate way to get your apps promoted.

Please let me know how it works for you!

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, DA B, DA C, LE Z10 #102, Q10, Z30
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: HomegrownAdNet: The community advertising sample

Garett, awesome post. I use my apps and a couple of my developer friends' apps too. They do the same for me. I like to think that these have increased downloads/sales (again no actual way to measure them). Hope others enjoy the sample!

-Brian

---
Check out my BB10 Cascades Coding site: BBcascades.com & Cascades Blog: bbcascadescode.tumblr.com

My Built for BlackBerry app: The Dive Plan