If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Advertising Service

New Contributor
astraware
My Device: Dev Alpha B
My Carrier: 3-UK

Is it possible to scale adverts in the Native SDK?

Hello all,

Since adverts delivered by the Advertising Service currently max out at 320x50, I'm looking to scale them up to a reasponable size for viewing on a Z10/Q10. I've spotted people talking about doing this in Cascades using QML, but my efforts to do this in native (within an OpenGL game) have failed so far.

I've tried creating a child window and creating the bbads_banner_t within that, but when bbads_banner_display gets called it returns BBADS_EBANNER if the window I used to create the banner was a child window. It's OK if it's the application window, but since it doesn't seem to be possble to get the window of the banner itself I can't use that to set scaling.

Any help most, most welcome! Otherwise I fear that players of our games will ignore the tiny adverts!

Thanks,

David

---

Astraware Limited

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Is it possible to scale adverts in the Native SDK?

Hi David,

Currently scaling in the Native SDK is not supported. Have you tested only with the standard "house ads" or real ads as well? 320x50 is a standard size for the test ads, however real ads may come in at varying sizes, and you can even specify a minimum size to be displayed. 

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
astraware
My Device: Dev Alpha B
My Carrier: 3-UK

Hello Garett,

Thanks for the reply! I've only tried with the house ads, but came up against 2 problems:

1) The unused space between the ad and the dimensions I'd specified came out white (not good in games, generally), and
2) Specifying smaller dimensions actually scaled the ad smaller within the dimensions, leaving problem #1 but an even small ad in the corner

I hadn't realised that OpenGL ES is supported in Cascades, so I'm re-writing our OS integration to use that rather than native in the hope that it'll give better control over ads, plus WebView components and such. Fingers crossed...

David
Please use plain text.
gbeukeboom

Hi David,

You will get better ontrol over ads, but if that is the only reason for the rewrite I would caution you to reconsider. Ad fill rate at the moment is less than stellar, so you will likely get better revenue using a model that sells digital goods within the app.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
gbeukeboom

Please use plain text.